Warm Waters Lake Mac

fishgod

Hey guys i was just wondering what you thing about this. Was on the way to Newcastle the other night and driving the f3 when i though to stop as it was still afternoon and go for a look at the warm waters theres usually people fishing and is generally a good stop revive survive spot 2 relax for abit. Soon enough theres 3 bull sharks cruising around in the shallows about 6-8ft now that part i thought was normal or atleast not out of the ordinary. Soon after the appearence of the bullsharks there was a guy a fishing in a tinny about the same size as the shark who has beached his boat as he had children on board and was worried. I then proceeded to ask him how he went he then pulls a 60cm diamond trevally out of the eski this i thought was weird is it possible... is it normall... was it lost... what do you think....

p.s. if someone told me this story i wouldnt have believed them in a 100000 years but i saw it and i still dont believe it

wat about the diamond trevally, like i might come across as possibly naive but is it necessary to get out of the water if ur on a 8ft tinny if there are bullsharks do they become aggressive towards boats... and people wade there which is the scary thing

Hey guys i was just wondering what you thing about this. Was on the way to Newcastle the other night and driving the f3 when i though to stop as it was still afternoon and go for a look at the warm waters theres usually people fishing and is generally a good stop revive survive spot 2 relax for abit. Soon enough theres 3 bull sharks cruising around in the shallows about 6-8ft now that part i thought was normal or atleast not out of the ordinary. Soon after the appearence of the bullsharks there was a guy a fishing in a tinny about the same size as the shark who has beached his boat as he had children on board and was worried. I then proceeded to ask him how he went he then pulls a 60cm diamond trevally out of the eski this i thought was weird is it possible... is it normall... was it lost... what do you think....

p.s. if someone told me this story i wouldnt have believed them in a 100000 years but i saw it and i still dont believe it

Hi where abouts on the lake were the bull sharks spotted was it at the hot water outlet across from Wyee

Let me get this straight... you thought the bull sharks were 'normal' and the 60cm trevally as abnormal?

I'm not sure which body of water you are speaking about so cannot say bout the trevally though 60cm is :1yikes:.... but I would'nt be calling bull sharks scaring a family out of the water normal.....:thumbup:

Hahaha... the Lake has finally given away some of its biggest secrets... and the Diamond Trev is only 1 of many Trevally species that are more @ home in tropical QLD and NT that reside near the hot water outlets... Big Eye Trevally (found up near Cairns) are also residents there but they dont have the size of their Northern cousins- they are merely rats in comparison.

The Lake is also home to lots of big angry sharks- Bulls, Tigers, Hammers, Bronzies and even great Whites have been seen in and around the lake- I have had 6/0 gamakatsu's hooks completely straightened up there fishing off my mates house-boat in a single session off Pulbah Island on sunset

im not surprized @ all by the size of the sharks nor by the species of fish caught there- but I reckon a 60cm Diamond Trev was a one off.

Anthony

:)

There's a lot of bull sharks around the Swansea channel at the moment due to the disgusting amount of salmon on the eastern side of the bridge. We were catching a few salmon last week around 6am and saw a big one amongst the salmon, he would've gone 2.5-3m, he was chasing the salmon within metres of the breakwall in about 2m of water. There was also 2 seals smashing them up, was great to watch and see thousands of salmon busting the surface up and seeing the seals with their mouths full of salmon.

Apparently in the channel east of the boat ramp there's a hole which always holds a few, also around Mannering Park, Gwandalan way there's been some big ones sighted, even hammer heads and whalers within the Lake.

Cheers,

Leo

Edited by Fezza

Hi Leo, are the shark numbers increasing in the lake because the pro's are not allowed now. Lot's of people swim and ski in the lake, are their any signs etc warning of the sharks.? Lots of bull sharks and people in the water don't mix.

Regards Jeff

Let me get this straight... you thought the bull sharks were 'normal' and the 60cm trevally as abnormal?

I'm not sure which body of water you are speaking about so cannot say bout the trevally though 60cm is :1yikes:.... but I would'nt be calling bull sharks scaring a family out of the water normal.....:thumbup:

By normal i mean believable as in bullsharks can be found almost anywhere.. does anyone the rules and regulations about fishing this area because of the warm water outlet

Hey Days fishin.

Yes absolutely they are increasing because the pro's are not netting now.

As a kid we swam without fear at Mannering Park as every one basically knew any sharks were quickly caught up in the nets.

Occassionaly the fisho's would bring them round to the Co-op at Wyee Bay and let every body see them. Very scary as a small kid.

Most certainly would no swim the back end of the Lake anymore!

As for northern species in the Lake, yes there most certainly are because of the hot water outlets.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

I wouldnt be fishing in a tinny anywere bullsharks are likley to be:1yikes:

It don't leave much water for blokes like me that fish from a tinny as the buggers will even enter fresh water for short periods. Anyway these days prob got more chance of being mugged or car jacked on the way to your fishing spot than eaten by a shark either way it don't usually end well.

From the description of your trip I would say you were at the hot water outlet at Eraring. Yes there are some big sharks there as well as many different unlikely species. I've seen Bulls, Hammers and the biggest Shovelnose I've ever seen. Some big rays that occasionally launch out of the water too. There are several confirmed reports of guys being bitten off through 200kg stainless wire, or the same report twice.

Last August I witnessed guy hook up to a large Bull Shark on land based game gear and a livey and he was taken right out to the point and had not landed it when we left an hour later. I believe he did get it to shore for release.

Someone killed a 7-8 ft Hammer there earlier this year and left it on the rocks with hook and trace still attached. No comment.

I fished it by boat yesterday and there was one big boil right next to us about 150-200 meters out from the outlet.

Youtube had some good footage if you enter Eraring and Shark for a search. One showed a hammer cruising up the channel in clear water and another showed a boat being towed around by another one.

I have also seen Hammers cruising around Pulbah Island and one very large shark in the distance, species unknown.

A local butcher told me of a guy who goes to him for burley scraps who has caught a Tiger Shark in the lake. He doesn't let his kids ski or tube around anymore.

Apparently there has only been one fatality in the lake and that was at the WWII Seaplane base in Rathmines. Not sure when though.

There are several resident turtles, one of which I have hooked on a pilly and gang hooks. Obviously he busted me off after coming up to look at me.

I've seen a couple of Threadfin Trevally caught and heard of species including cobia, giant herring, queenfish although they are not common.

From the description of your trip I would say you were at the hot water outlet at Eraring. Yes there are some big sharks there as well as many different unlikely species. I've seen Bulls, Hammers and the biggest Shovelnose I've ever seen. Some big rays that occasionally launch out of the water too. There are several confirmed reports of guys being bitten off through 200kg stainless wire, or the same report twice.

Last August I witnessed guy hook up to a large Bull Shark on land based game gear and a livey and he was taken right out to the point and had not landed it when we left an hour later. I believe he did get it to shore for release.

Someone killed a 7-8 ft Hammer there earlier this year and left it on the rocks with hook and trace still attached. No comment.

I fished it by boat yesterday and there was one big boil right next to us about 150-200 meters out from the outlet.

Youtube had some good footage if you enter Eraring and Shark for a search. One showed a hammer cruising up the channel in clear water and another showed a boat being towed around by another one.

I have also seen Hammers cruising around Pulbah Island and one very large shark in the distance, species unknown.

A local butcher told me of a guy who goes to him for burley scraps who has caught a Tiger Shark in the lake. He doesn't let his kids ski or tube around anymore.

Apparently there has only been one fatality in the lake and that was at the WWII Seaplane base in Rathmines. Not sure when though.

There are several resident turtles, one of which I have hooked on a pilly and gang hooks. Obviously he busted me off after coming up to look at me.

I've seen a couple of Threadfin Trevally caught and heard of species including cobia, giant herring, queenfish although they are not common.

hey noodles im not sure if we are talking about the same place i will double check on google maps but the warm water outlet im reffering is the one near vales point power station with the most dodgy looking boat ramp i have ever seen lol

Careful what time you fish around Vales Point Power Station water outlet at Mannering Park as you aren't allowed to fish there between 6pm and 6am, it's a no go zone for fishing there between those times and it is patrolled regularly.

Sharks prefer the south of the lake as the water is warmer that end.

Cheers,

Leo

just curious i was speaking to a guy at work and he said its only 6pm - 6am if ur within a 100 metres of the outlet but i reading up on it on the fisheries website and it doesnt mention anything about 100meters (well i didnt see it anywhere) once questioned he said that he got a fine there and thats what the fisheries officer told him????????

You'll find the info regarding any power station water outlet in lake at DPI Fisheries website.

Here's an extract from it....

“The waters in and adjacent to the outlet canals and the waters within 100 metres of the canal extremity of Munmorah, Eraring and Vales Point power stations are closed to all methods of fishing between the hours of 6pm and 6am from 1 May to 31 August annually.

Cheers,

Leo