4 Day South Coast Trip

brendong

Been away on this trip and then away with work most of last week so sorry for the later post. Got some vids too so I might post them up at some stage.

Anyway, after several months of anticipation and planning our plans to head north to the Clarence River suddenly changed when news of less than encouraging numbers of bass being caught came through. It didnt take long to formulate a new plan to head south instead of north to the sleepy Victorian coastal town of Mallacoota.

Having fished it in July of 2009 with an awesome south coast guide we were hopeful we could replicate our efforts of last year which saw massive numbers of blue nose black and yellow fin bream on blade. But heading down a couple of months later than last year we doubted we could perform as well as 2009.

The 6.5 hour trip and departure @ 5am saw us arriving in Mallacoota (Coota) around 11.30 am to a fairly windy day but that wouldnt stop us from sneaking in an afternoon session. We hit the bottom lake first up and struggled to slow our drift down and had to employee the use of our trusty leccy to ensure we werent pushed off the banks before our first casts hit the water.

Armed with a myriad of blades (our blade of choice being Ecogear VX35s which we had to bring from Sydney as the south coast tackle shops saw no need to carry them) we bladed our buns off for a pink snapper, Treva and reasonable bream...hmmm less than impressive start....so we made the move to the snags in the top lake which only saw us pull a few flathead. Cold and disillusioned we headed home for the night to hatch a plan for day 2.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed (and based on a whisper from our friendly south coast guide) we targeted the top lake first up and marked heaps of bream about 7 ft off the bottom....hmmm not feeding grrrr....we did manage several quality flathead but our target fish of horse breambos were few and far between. The first decent fish to speak of being Coyotes 46 cm treva that went like the clappers and arced around the boat more than a couple of times.

post-4925-017872800 1284202949_thumb.jpg

Figuring we marked fish that werent feeding we decided to hit the snags in the reaches of Coota with a hard body assault that saw us throwing Tiemco Stick Minnows and SX40s. Battling a strong wind and having never thrown sinking or diving hard bods in snags it took us a little while to find our range. Before long my SX was smacked and before I could even get a wind on him, he pinned me to the timber grrrr.

Coyote made the change to his Tiemco and it wasnt long before he was smacked on almost consecutive snags by a 38cm brute and then a 35 both Blacks and our faith in the Coota bream was restored.

post-4925-019002200 1284202990_thumb.jpg

In the later afternoon we moved back into the many shallow banks the top lake holds and Coyote encountered a 37cm black that gave him plenty of curry

post-4925-055237700 1284203031_thumb.jpg

So at this point Im still bream-less and feeling like my cousin is belting me left, right and centre....much to my joy we found a great patch of fish and I managed to get on the board with a respectable 32cm unit which lifted my spirits immensely. A few more each along with a good black fish and Andy Capp (or so it would appear from his picture) and I called it quits for day 2.

post-4925-011912900 1284203069_thumb.jpg

post-4925-023682900 1284203088_thumb.jpg

Day 3 saw us launching from Gypsy Point (as we did on Day 2) to a magnificent looking morning and very little breeze to speak of. This meant no drift so it took a little while to find the fish again and with no drift once you find them, you can hang off them for quite a while. Some good bream caught and released and a respectable blackfish before a howling wind kicked in and saw us running for the snags again.

post-4925-070416100 1284203137_thumb.jpg

After navigating many shallow banks, submerged logs and rock bars, we deployed SX 40s on the troll and proceeded to attract some nice bream and solid Flathead as we cruised up river. I picked up a 56 cm and 60 cm as we slow trolled several drop offs on our way to snag central. We managed to video the 60 cm capture see link below.

post-4925-083992500 1284203173_thumb.jpg

You tube link flathead to come

We pulled up to the snags to a light zephyr of breeze and bright sunshine. Peppering the snags we managed plenty of 25 cm to 30 cm breambos on the sxs and Tiemcos again and much to my surprise a nice couple of EPs that smacked my SX with great aggression. Finishing day 3 very content we cruised on home.

post-4925-009551700 1284203281_thumb.jpg

Youtube EP link to come

Day 4 saw us looking for somewhere else to fish as the predicted 75 km wind gusts were less than appealing. We decided to head north and fish somewhere sheltered....the plan was the upper reaches of Conjola (Fishermans Paradise) or perhaps the upper Shoalhaven for a bass. But as we arrived in Pambula (south of Merimbula) the wind was nowhere to be seen (yet). In the pouring rain we launched and worked the oyster rack banks on the low tide for very little result. (Man gotta get back there with the poppers in summer me thinks)

Sighting a few fish busting up on the surface we quickly tied on the Zippin Ziggys (an 8 cm pencil style popper) and hurled them at the broken water. Walking the dog back to the boat we both got hit by freight train Sambos that saw our bream gear put through its paces and with reels screaming. Coyote boated his pb 58 cm Salmon gave it a swim and off it went. One or two more and the bust ups vanished so we moved on.

post-4925-093216300 1284203320_thumb.jpg

Sambo vid to come

We peppered the drop offs with plastics for 1 Treva and the wind began to strengthen. We figured a move was required and began to look for some sheltered water. As we approached the same spot as wed pulled a few sambos earlier, the water erupted with bust ups in every direction. What transpired over the next 4 hours was a truly incredible and gobsmacking moment. We boated 39 Salmon and 3 tailor all on bream gear with all but 3 or 4 occasions double hook ups occurring. Amongst the mayhem I did manage my PB sambo of 60cm and the fish ranged in size from 40 cm to 60 cm with the average prob about the 50 range. The surface strikes were incredible and can I say if you like your high speed metal fishing next time you see a frothing school of tailor or salmon reach for your bream stick, spec up your leader, buy yourself a popper or two and hang on for the ride. The mind blowing strikes and screaming reels is something that has to be seen to be believed and will have you leaving your metals in the tackle box.

post-4925-075399800 1284203344_thumb.jpg

A couple of other mind blowing moments occurred that I thought Id share. One salmon that was released that went high 50s didnt quite earn his freedom. We were being followed by the local pelicans and one unsuspecting salmon swan straight at a pele who eat the entire fish whole despite being swooped on by the resident eagle and several other peles having a crack at him. He was so weighed down by the fish that he was sitting a good 5 cm lower in the water than this mates. Talk about needing a quick eze!!!!

We also werent completely out of the wind with one of the strongest gusts ripping the middle windscreen completely off its hinges which we fortunately grabbed and stopped it from being thrown into the water.

So the total number of fish caught and released for the 4 days went like this:

- 39 Australian Salmon to 60 cm

- 24 Bream to 38 cm

- 16 flathead to 60 cm

- 5 tailor

- 3 trevally

- 3 EPs

- 2 blackfish

- Total Fish 92

Edited by Poddy Trapper

imagine that surface popping for sambos on light bream gear would be a little like gearing up big for GTs in the north, it must have been a mindblowing experience.

pete

Hmmm GT's on popper are high on the hit list....I'll let you know once I've done that....but it's great to put your good gear through its paces.

Great report with some great fish caught

Interesting to see you guys are using tiemco stick minnows Dont think I could throw them at snags prefer to use them over flats and sinking beside pontoons My favorite colour 007 seems very hard to get

We actually started using them about 3 years ago but they first came out as Trick Trout and then we couldn't find them for about a year and then they came out as Tiemco. Also deadly when throwing into floating oyster racks in the nambucca system. not sure what colour has a hyragliphic image and has an awesome fluttering action...we found them again in Nowra at you know where...

I Did you get the blackies on lures also??

Regards Jeff

All black fish were taken on Blades and went like the clappers, must give black fishing a go one day...

Thanks for the kind words....we loved it...

Well done, Poddy - terrific report, great pics, too!! Such a great range of fish caught & all in superb condition!! How much fun was that???

Congratulations to you & your buddies for having such an exciting adventure down at 'Coota!!! :yahoo::thumbup:

Cheerio

Roberta