Kayak Kingy

mushtaka

This morning i took out my Kayak for the first time. LOVED IT!

I had a great time out off long reef throwing metals around and getting stuck into the Kings!

The original plan was to just get some livies to throw off the beach tonight, but that plan went out the window when i saw a school of Kings!!

I saw a school busting up so i got stuck into them. I pulled in a nice king that went 60cm. Back in he went and was looking for them again.

It took about 1/2 hour to find them. I looked down in the water and there they were just hanging down deep under my Yack. I dropped down my metal and i was on!!!! I have never been connected to a descent fish off a yack before but it was great! The nose of my yack just went in the direction of the kingy and i glided along the water . After a good fight, up came a 80cm king!!! yahoo.gif

I ended up landing another 3 rat kingies all at 64cm!!! Bummer just under legal size limit! All were returned to grow a bit more for next time!

I cant wait to head out there again!!!!

post-3960-023203500 1290052428_thumb.jpg

post-3960-049942200 1290052449_thumb.jpg

Edited by mushtaka

Great catch, within the next few weeks going to a spot where we land 10kg+ kings always caught them from a boat taking the kayak this time also when we get there launch the kayak of the boat and hopefully hang on if their there, i took the 12 tinny there last time and they towed us around like nothing while playing the fish cant wait to see how we go of the kayak will be like a jet boat i hope hehehe will be getting film footage , of course.....

Awesome report mate! I got my 1st yak a couple of months ago now infact its a Prowler 15 in the exact same colour as yours, built for that style of kayak fishing unfortunatley i havnt had a chance to take it anywhere apart from the river.

Havnt hooked anything that big off it yet im sure it was great fun. I'm gonna get out there this summer for sure!

Congrats on the top catch. :thumbup:

Musty

Congratulations Mushtaka - that is a terrific first outing on your new yak!! Well blooded, already!! OK Prowlers are terrific yaks - very stable. It will only get better from here - but take care out there - lots of men in grey suits hang around Long Reef - a shark shield would be recommended!!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta, NOW YOU ARE SCARING ME!!!

I was feeling a bit nervous out there with all the bait fish around.

Do you think a shark would try and push me off??? I know there was a scare out there a few years ago. But i think that bloke just fell off his yak when he was trying to get in another persons boat after he saw the shark.

I might have to get one i think????

Are they expensive? Are there special ones for yaks?

Maybe P.M if you know of specific brands ect...

Thanks!

Mushtaka

Edited by mushtaka

Hi Mushtaka

Definitely worth paying for some 'insurance' if you go offshore & better still, make sure you fish with others out there to fish with as well!! Safety in numbers. I am pretty sure that one bloke WAS knocked off his yak (not fallen off) & the 3 guys rafted the yaks together for more security & safety/stability and then they had another scare again after that as well when the shark started for them again.

Just google 'shark shield' & lots of info will come up. I think only one brand is available - as more become available the prices will drop. You probably pay $500 or more for car insurance - just call it 'yak insurance'!

Roberta

Hi Mushtaka,

Very nice first king out of a yak, you will make the rest of the kayak frat very jealous. Nice to see some volume of kings showing up at last. All yakers who fish offshore have stories of things that go 'bump in the night' up against the yak. Big sharks are not common but when they do show up they seem fascinated by yaks and there is very little between you and the yak. And yes Steve WAS bumped by the GWS at longy that is why he ended up in the water. It is a natural health hazzard while chasing big schools of fish.

I use a shark shield as does a lot of the regular crew (google shark shield for details) either putting the antenna down the scupper, attaching it to a rod holder or PFD, just be sure to tether it as they are expensive kit to loose. The yak community jury is still out on whether they will work in all circumstances, but they certainly do work and for me some thing is better than nothing. I also use it in the harbour as the Bull Sharks have been known to hassle yaks as well. When you have blood and guts leaking down the skuppers you are just a bloody great burley cage to a bitey.

I am pretty sure the SS would deter a 'curiosity' bite, not so sure if it would work if it is in full on predator mode. Half the people who survive shark attacks never see the shark comming and many never see it at all. I would bet that of the fatilities the percentage who never saw the shark coming was a lot higher. I am always happy when a bitey shows itself.

David

Hi Mushtaka,

Very nice first king out of a yak, you will make the rest of the kayak frat very jealous. Nice to see some volume of kings showing up at last. All yakers who fish offshore have stories of things that go 'bump in the night' up against the yak. Big sharks are not common but when they do show up they seem fascinated by yaks and there is very little between you and the yak. And yes Steve WAS bumped by the GWS at longy that is why he ended up in the water. It is a natural health hazzard while chasing big schools of fish.

I use a shark shield as does a lot of the regular crew (google shark shield for details) either putting the antenna down the scupper, attaching it to a rod holder or PFD, just be sure to tether it as they are expensive kit to loose. The yak community jury is still out on whether they will work in all circumstances, but they certainly do work and for me some thing is better than nothing. I also use it in the harbour as the Bull Sharks have been known to hassle yaks as well. When you have blood and guts leaking down the skuppers you are just a bloody great burley cage to a bitey.

I am pretty sure the SS would deter a 'curiosity' bite, not so sure if it would work if it is in full on predator mode. Half the people who survive shark attacks never see the shark comming and many never see it at all. I would bet that of the fatilities the percentage who never saw the shark coming was a lot higher. I am always happy when a bitey shows itself.

David

Thanks Roberta and Southerly!!!

I think i know what i will be asking for this this christmas!!!!!!

I will look into buying one ASAP.

Southerly if you ever go out and are looking for someone to tag along P.M me. I would love to head out with a few other people.

Thanks again!

Neil

Hey buddy that's a nice kingy, sounds like a top place to fish I used to surf out there many moons ago.

Hope ya get plenty more and stay safe out there, not for me after what I've seen lurking under boats..

Hey buddy that's a nice kingy, sounds like a top place to fish I used to surf out there many moons ago.

Hope ya get plenty more and stay safe out there, not for me after what I've seen lurking under boats..

Thanks Ray!

You guys are not filling me with great confidence with all this shark talk!!!

I used to own a boat and have seen whats down there too!

I think i will go out with other people next time and also get a shark Shield.

I landed a nice bronze whaler off the sand on Narrabeen beach the other week so they are around.

Love reading your reports from the central coast mate! Keep them coming!!!!

Neil

Edited by mushtaka