Some Dollies Off Sydney

netic

Hey Guys,

About a month ago me and a few mates decided to deploy a private fad this season and 2 weeks ago we finally got it done, we put it out about 16 kms out in about 130m of water and yesterday decided to head out to see if we had attracted anything, didnt expect much as the water was still a touch cold and the warm currents were still to show up.

Went out there about midday and when we were about 100 metres away we saw what looked like a massive dollie jump over it, all excited we quickly approached to see a school of dollies all over 110cm cruising around it,

We launch some Yakkas at them but they werent interested at all, so then we decided to throw some plastics at them and still to no avail.

Finally we decided to run some skirts and minnows by them and that did the trick.

Over the next hour we caught 10 Dollies all around the 15kg mark.

We kept 2 Bulls for a feed and released the rest, good fun and great to see the investment of a private fad all ready pay off.

post-1441-018947800 1290377399_thumb.jpg

Mate we used 4 white foam bouys and then used about 350m of rope and tied it to 3 milk crates that are fill with concrete and various heavy metals to add extra weight, we werent 100% sure that the weight would be enough but the fad was exactly where it should have been so for now i guess its holding.

very like dollies! Can you only catch them offshore? or can you catch them landbased or is it rare?

Mate I have never heard of them being caught landbased, although it wont be impossible i guess they are an offshore species

Mate I have never heard of them being caught landbased, although it wont be impossible i guess they are an offshore species

I saw one jump out of a wave at belongil beach at Byron bay many years ago. Absolutley certain it ws a dolly as it was blue yellow green and was a bull with the big head and i was 10 meters away on my board, good size fish like your one and it freaked me out a bit. They are semi regular catches off the beach in Mexico when people target rooster fish i am led to beleive.

I saw one jump out of a wave at belongil beach at Byron bay many years ago. Absolutley certain it ws a dolly as it was blue yellow green and was a bull with the big head and i was 10 meters away on my board, good size fish like your one and it freaked me out a bit. They are semi regular catches off the beach in Mexico when people target rooster fish i am led to beleive.

I have seen one in Botany bay, would have been about 50cm

Nice dollies Netic, seem to be bigger dollies at the start of the season. Bit strange they weren't interested in the livies but, jigging seems to stir them up. A bit like when kings wont hit your live baits but they will smash your jigs.Great feed there,well done.

Cheers Mike

Hey Guys,

About a month ago me and a few mates decided to deploy a private fad this season and 2 weeks ago we finally got it done, we put it out about 16 kms out in about 130m of water and yesterday decided to head out to see if we had attracted anything, didnt expect much as the water was still a touch cold and the warm currents were still to show up.

Went out there about midday and when we were about 100 metres away we saw what looked like a massive dollie jump over it, all excited we quickly approached to see a school of dollies all over 110cm cruising around it,

We launch some Yakkas at them but they werent interested at all, so then we decided to throw some plastics at them and still to no avail.

Finally we decided to run some skirts and minnows by them and that did the trick.

Over the next hour we caught 10 Dollies all around the 15kg mark.

We kept 2 Bulls for a feed and released the rest, good fun and great to see the investment of a private fad all ready pay off.

post-1441-018947800 1290377399_thumb.jpg

Superb dollies mate,good to see a home made fad works better than the ones which are deployed each season.Hope i have luck in coming across it when i go out soon :biggrin2: they,re one of my favourite fish for the table.Bet we,ll have alot more private fads deployed going in soon....Lol seeing yours is working well.

chris

Managed to troll up a 75cm Dollie just shy of the 12 mile on Saturday while targeting stripies. Was unexpected as the water temp was only 21degrees and there was nothing floating on the water to attract it.

Needless to say, it was a welcome catch as they too are one of my favourite table fish.

Don't you need a permit for placing the FAD?

I was under the impression you needed a permit to place one otherwise it was illegal even though a lot of people do it, and I hope you didnt put it in either the southern or northern Sydney submarine cable protection zones or you could get in major strife

Only asking cause I don't want to see a raider get in trouble :)

Does anyone know the law about this? and if so what the construction and anchoring requirements of the FAD is?

By the way mate those are some beautiful dollies you have there

Don't you need a permit for placing the FAD?

I was under the impression you needed a permit to place one otherwise it was illegal even though a lot of people do it, and I hope you didnt put it in either the southern or northern Sydney submarine cable protection zones or you could get in major strife

Only asking cause I don't want to see a raider get in trouble :)

Does anyone know the law about this? and if so what the construction and anchoring requirements of the FAD is?

By the way mate those are some beautiful dollies you have there

FAD??? What FAD??? What are you talking about?? They were just three buoys floating in the ocean LMAO!!!!!!