Kings firing in Botany Bay

quintrex480

Went out to the bay with my cousin in hope for some kings, 2 times we went out in the past 2 weeks for just 1 rat each session. So we were hoping for some better results today. Got into the water around 6 and headed straight to get some live yakkas, within 15 mins we had about 12 livies in the well and a couple of squid. Headed straight out to Molineax and anchored up with the other 8 or so boats. Nothing for about 30 mins so we decided to downrig and troll for a little, then bang first king on the line and went 55cm, put the little guy back. Trolled some more and we see a couple of boats start landing kings and the sounder had a good showing as well so we decided to anchor up. Threw squid in unweighted and the yakka down the bottom. Then within a minute, the baitrunner on the squid goes off, onto the second, got him in the boat to 60cm, also went back in. Then as soon he goes back in the live yakka starts running, rod bent down the back. I am on and from the fight, I knew this wasn't a rat, got him in the boat in about 10 mins and went 70cm WOOHOO!! first legal king for the year! boy was I happy. We ended up with 10 kings, 2 of them keepers. This all happened betwee 8am to 10am. Now this is the session I've been dreaming of. Makes the early starts definitely worth it, can't wait to head out again. Photos will be posted when my cousin sends them to me from his phone.

If you don't mind me asking guys, where are you guys catching the live yakkas from in the bay ?

I didnt know where to get them from but today i saw some boats next to molineux point in a little all cove area against the break wall. There are two tug boats anchored up about 50 m away. I went there and started throwing chook pellets in the water and in 5 min they were there. But it was hard to get small ones most were large and putting up a good fight o handlines :biggrin2: .

Hope this helps and gets you that king.

If you don't mind me asking guys, where are you guys catching the live yakkas from in the bay ?

Head down to yarra bay right in the corner. There is a whole heap of kelp down there, you can't miss it if you have a pair of polaroids, you'll be able to spot the kelp. Just anchor up right where the kelp starts and you'll be onto them. I've attached a google map, red X marks the spot. Red X marks the spot. Good Luck, if you see a Quintrex480 Coastrunner around there, let me know and I can show you.post-16665-097061600 1294404271_thumb.gif

So is that spot X ? mate you are so helpful. :)

You are in breach of site rules, :ranting2:

no one is allowed to talk about Spot X. :074::074::074:

Sorry, I couldnt resist :biggrin2:

Geez Penguin lucky you are a Gold Member :thumbup:

I am pretty sure that spot is WELL known by EVERYONE but it is very nice of Quintrex480 to share. I might pop down to the Yarra Bay Sailing Club and watch the flotilla of fr boats turn up there

mrsswordie

You are in breach of site rules, :ranting2:

no one is allowed to talk about Spot X. :074::074::074:

Sorry, I couldnt resist :biggrin2:

Geez Penguin lucky you are a Gold Member :thumbup:

I am pretty sure that spot is WELL known by EVERYONE but it is very nice of Quintrex480 to share. I might pop down to the Yarra Bay Sailing Club and watch the flotilla of fr boats turn up there

mrsswordie

I was once someone who had no idea how to fish and where to go to get bait, and had heaps of help from friendly raiders, and I just wanted to do the same. Fishing should be enjoyed by everyone and I am more than happy to provide any kind of help to anyone starting out. There are plenty of yakkas down there, so yeah would be great to see everyone down there giving it a go and then chasing some Kings!! :biggrin2:

Head down to yarra bay right in the corner. There is a whole heap of kelp down there, you can't miss it if you have a pair of polaroids, you'll be able to spot the kelp. Just anchor up right where the kelp starts and you'll be onto them. I've attached a google map, red X marks the spot. Red X marks the spot. Good Luck, if you see a Quintrex480 Coastrunner around there, let me know and I can show you.post-16665-097061600 1294404271_thumb.gif

Thanks

where did you get the squid in the bay. is it the same spot as above...

I have never fished in the bay this was very good information for me Thanks a lot.

BigKing

I was once someone who had no idea how to fish and where to go to get bait, and had heaps of help from friendly raiders, and I just wanted to do the same. Fishing should be enjoyed by everyone and I am more than happy to provide any kind of help to anyone starting out. There are plenty of yakkas down there, so yeah would be great to see everyone down there giving it a go and then chasing some Kings!! :biggrin2:

I love to hear those sort of stories :thumbup: that is what fr is all about - helping others

Thanks

where did you get the squid in the bay. is it the same spot as above...

I have never fished in the bay this was very good information for me Thanks a lot.

BigKing

Yep same spot, but it's been really slow of late. Think all the rain has turned them off., hopefully some clear skies for a couple of weeks can clean up the water a liitle.

Hi Guys,

Just a bit more info on that spot.

The area is called "the suction" as I believe it was once used to draw sea water for some industry (?) - I think.

A word of warning - beware that to the right hand side of the concrete structure (not the wall, but the pipe that protrudes from the beach), there is some rocky shallow ground and at low tide, would be a danger for propellers.

You may get carried away drifting for squid or anchoring too close for livies and run aground accidentally.

If there are a few boats around in there and the water is a little discoloured, you may want to pay attention to the sounder...