Boating Costs?

Tim

G'Day fellas

It's been a while since I asked one of my "novice" questions, so here's another one!

Let's say I buy a boat, and it has everything I need in a boat, and I don't need to add or change a thing. What costs are involved?

All I can think of is:

Insurance

Rego (Is trailer rego separate?)

Running costs (petrol, oil...?)

Servicing (How often is this required on, say, a 50-60hp 4 stroke engine pushing a 4.5-5m tinny? I know this will probably vary between motors and the way it's driven, but I'm just looking for ballpark figures.)

What sort of other costs should be considered before buying a boat?

Cheers

Tim

Thats mostly it.  Service will be yearly and a couple hundred bucks.  The main problem is you always want a bit more.  Better sounder, better rods, reels, lure collection like Swoffas, etc etc.

But provided things stay stable then the costs aren't too bad.  Pick a ramp close to home and don't do huge distances on the water and it ends up pretty cheap.

48515[/snapback]

Thanks Pedro.

Fortunately I've already got a fair bit of gear. Perhaps a good 15kg & 24kg outfit & I'll be setup & ready for anything.

Guest bluecod
Before I bought the boat I had 3 rods.  Now I have about 15.  See - the fish actually know if you don't have the proper rod and won't bite. Course you need a separate reel for each rod.  Most of those reels have two spools which you will fill with different lines.  Etc etc etc.

48552[/snapback]

Then you'll need a good colour sounder, EPIRB, both 27 meg and VHF radios, replacement flares, GPS Chart Plotter, bilge pump, live bait tank, live well outrigger poles and a down rigger, Then when you've got all the gear, they'll all need upgrading particularly the safety gear.

OR,

you could keep it simple! :risata::risata:

Dont know if this helps but here is my list,

If you have a lekky, id buy a shear-pin and blade.

For the console, id get a few fuses you might need them.

Re-charger for you batteries.

Small tool kit for having on the boat, in case of emerg.

Alot of inox for the engine and trailer.

I know you probably already have thought of these things but maybe someone who reads this post mighten have.

Hope this helps.

Before i forget a constant suply of beer on board( biggest expence :1naughty: )

Some people say as a rough rule of thumb - A boat will cost at least 10% of its purchase price annually to keep and maintain to a high level.

Going off my boat - i feel 10% is conservative.... maybe 20-30% :hitsfan:

Tim, if you are buying a used boat then I would strongly advise getting it checked out by someone in the know, unless you are confident in doing it yourself, bit like an NRMA inspection. Approx. $170 spent now could save thousands later.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Mike_E

Small tool kit for having on the boat, in case of emerg.

49434[/snapback]

Can I also recommend that the small tool kit includes a good pair of stainless steel pliers, not the cheap stuff from Bunnings. After even a short time in the salt air, the crap pliers (& shifters) will become totally siezed and useless.

Cheers

Thanks for all your replies fellas.

There are a few things mentioned that I hadn't already thought of, so I really appreciate it.

As for beer, I think I'll be running a dry boat... Much to the disgust of some mates!

As for beer, I think I'll be running a dry boat...  Much to the disgust of some mates!

50389[/snapback]

Don't be ashamed of running a dry boat :(

Mine has always been dry and always will be (unless we decide to have an overnight camp). I firmly believe that drinking whilst being in control of a boat are a definate no no.

BUT...once home and the fish and boat are being cleaned I think beer, beer and more beer should be compulsory :1clap::1clap:

I love my beer. Always have and always will - but not whilst boating.

There's nothing wrong with running a dry boat at all mate. My boat was dry offshore & the only time we ever had a beer was if we were fishing the river. I have been known to enjoy the odd beer as well & if it's good enough for me to go without its good enough for "mates"

Your the skipper & your decision is final :biggrin2: