Sydney 16/2/2011

chewie

Hey Raiders,

Well after being overseas for the last month and reading about how great Sydney has been fishing lately I finally managed to get out with a mate to chase some kings.

We hit the water early and stocked up with a few Squid and some Yakkas. Its amazing how accurate squid can be even in the dark.

post-17369-089594100 1297894838_thumb.jpg

Not happy with its new body piercing the same squid went out on the downrigger.

post-17369-084561400 1297894877_thumb.jpg

Fishing in tight to structure the plan was to drive the boat directly out to sea should we hook up. After rehearsing this on a few rat kings taking Yakkas, the live squid got absolutely MONSTERED!!!!

We both Knew this was a massive fish and after it stripped a heap of line off the reel we manage to turn its head and guide it out to sea using the boat to keep its head up. Once we were in some deeper water and not having to deal with the back wash from the cliffs I got into a comfortable position to put some hurt back on the fish.

After gaining and then losing line over and over for about 15 – 20 minutes I was starting pray the hook up and knots would remain solid. Finally this big bruiser was guided into the net. My mate did an amazing job controlling the boat during the battle and this fish was 100% a team effort to land.

post-17369-067219400 1297894913_thumb.jpgpost-17369-045594900 1297894946_thumb.jpg

The fish went 106cm and is a new Sydney PB for me. I cant wait for the next big Hoodlum… there are definitely some massive kings around at the moment.

tight lines,

Sam

Hey Raiders,

Well after being overseas for the last month and reading about how great Sydney has been fishing lately I finally managed to get out with a mate to chase some kings.

We hit the water early and stocked up with a few Squid and some Yakkas. Its amazing how accurate squid can be even in the dark.

post-17369-089594100 1297894838_thumb.jpg

Not happy with its new body piercing the same squid went out on the downrigger.

post-17369-084561400 1297894877_thumb.jpg

Fishing in tight to structure the plan was to drive the boat directly out to sea should we hook up. After rehearsing this on a few rat kings taking Yakkas, the live squid got absolutely MONSTERED!!!!

We both Knew this was a massive fish and after it stripped a heap of line off the reel we manage to turn its head and guide it out to sea using the boat to keep its head up. Once we were in some deeper water and not having to deal with the back wash from the cliffs I got into a comfortable position to put some hurt back on the fish.

After gaining and then losing line over and over for about 15 – 20 minutes I was starting pray the hook up and knots would remain solid. Finally this big bruiser was guided into the net. My mate did an amazing job controlling the boat during the battle and this fish was 100% a team effort to land.

post-17369-067219400 1297894913_thumb.jpgpost-17369-045594900 1297894946_thumb.jpg

The fish went 106cm and is a new Sydney PB for me. I cant wait for the next big Hoodlum… there are definitely some massive kings around at the moment.

tight lines,

Sam

CRACKING KINGIE MATE!!!!

What a stomper! :thumbup::yahoo:

Great fish guys..... I know alot of us have been complaining about the rats recently me included but i think its safe to say that the bigger guys have now turned up! Anyone else of the opinion that the 65 cm rule was a good thing???

One happy camper there!!!!,

great 65cm Kinghy rule,,, there are plenty of fish out there to go round.!!!!

...Mind you I still see undersize ones being kept,, when I question them,,, they shrugg their shoulders,,

Im not the fisheries and Im out there to fish and enjoy my day,,,, I dont want to start a confrontation.

Thanks for the Positive comments! :thumbup:

I caught this brute on my Sakana Saltwater Pro rod matched to a Saltist 30 with 30lb braid and 60lb Fluro Leader.

I love this combo, its always been a dream when fighting big fish. Lots of give, lots of grunt and a super smooth drag.

Cheers,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...