Seasickness medication , what works and what does not?

leonardgid

Hello fishraiders, allot of us know what its like to get seasick and it really is a very bad feeling for those not in the know, what worked for you , and what did not , i believe some things work for some people but not for others, what is your experience? thank you all.

Seasick the first couple of times fishing outside (many years ago) not a problem now. Keep going out and you will not notice anything after a while. Up river never a problem. Never used anything, but heard that ginger tablets work.

Guest Aussie007

i have just normal motion sickness tablets on my boat only my cousin seems to get sea sick they do the trick $8 at the chemist saves a day fishing in the sheltered areas

if you are really bad, goto cincotta chemist at caringbah. ask for ET's seasick pills at the prescription counter

I must agree with hottyscotty although I dont get sea sick I always keep some handy and encourage everyone comming with us to take one. theres a couple of guys that fish with me that do get sick very easy but not yet got sick while taking the ET's, so my opinion they must work ok.

I agree, Bova Compounding at Caringbah for the ET pills, they do work with the worst of motion sickness victims......beware they are Blue in colour so don't get them confused with other blue tablets........but then again, if you do, at least you won't fall overboard whilst having a chunder :biggrin2:

hahahahahaha. You funny %%%%%. :biggrin2:

Hello fishraiders, allot of us know what its like to get seasick and it really is a very bad feeling for those not in the know, what worked for you , and what did not , i believe some things work for some people but not for others, what is your experience? thank you all.

I keep Travacalm on the boat and even occasionally pop one myself if I have not been out in months. Recommend you take them at the boatramp 20-30min before setting out. For the crew that is susceptible to sea-sickness I have found the following things generally help -

1) don't starve yourself before the boat trip. The ones that have had a toast or two for breakfast before leaving have always fared better.

2) similarly don't starve yourself on the boat. Surprisingly many folks have found a peanut butter sandwich and cup of black tea very settling (I say the peanut butter sticks the guts together). Eat something (1/2 a sambo) on the run out. Eat a little through out the day. Relax. Its all exciting, but you need to condition your body to do normal things (like eat) while all that rock and rolling is going on. Do it gradually. Goes without saying that if you have not got your sea legs I suggest you leave greasy or spicy foods at home for your return.

3) if you are underway, have the "queasy" ones face the breeze and look out to where you are heading. Fresh air and a bit of spray does wonders.

4) my bro-in-law constantly gets seasick - except when he is steering the boat - made him get his boat license and now guess who is at the helm when we troll (trawl?). Once a fish is hooked - he is OK to play it and land it - then back to the helm he goes. Some people are just wired differently, give them jobs that keep them occupied, looking out and their mind off their gut.

5) try to minimize the time looking down in the boat. Have them make up their rigs before to minimize the time rummaging through the tackle box.

Following the above has let me take even newbies out to Browns and back without too much incident. Everyone has a better day when no one is sick.

Hope this helps.

Just am FYI, don't mistake "Travel Calm" and "Trava Calm" they are 2 different things.

Travel Calm from memory is ginger stuff, and Trava Calm is the good stuff.

I've used Trava Calm and can vouch for it, just be aware it makes your mouth dry, so bring a big bottle of water.

However as mentioned above, apparently the ET tablets work just as well as the Trava Calm, without the dryness in the mouth. I've yet to try it.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Myself, I get seasick in a bathtub,for many years I would just not go out,,then a friend but me on to Avill. I take these with Quells as a top up. Now I rarely get sick, I've learn't to put up with the dry mouth, much better then looking at the side of a boat. I have never tried ET's product, but it sounds like a winner.

There is nothing worse than being seasick, you feel like death is the next best thing.

Regards,,Alan

Guest Aussie007

zmk is on the money if u get sea sick or someone else on your boat try a different style of fishing troll lures with the boat moving people wont get sea sick its only when your drifting or at anchor the swell effects people

I regularly go offshore and i recommend taking Travacalm if you are prone to getting seasick. I always encourage all on board to take one tablet 30 mins before heading out past the heads.

I have seen too many people who thought they didnt get seasick go green once further offshore.

The ones i trust are the "blue" Travacalms. Dont get the "Orange" ones, they are the ginger pills and dont do crap once you are hit hard offshore.

The ET pills are good but pricey and a hassle to get. They contain the same substance as Travacalms but with "Caffeine" added to help you stay awake. The side effects of any sea sickness pills is severe drowsiness. The caffeine helps to relieve the drowsiness.

If you get the blue travalcalms and take one with a "no doz" caffeine tablet, this will do the same job as ET tablets.

I regularly go offshore and i recommend taking Travacalm if you are prone to getting seasick. I always encourage all on board to take one tablet 30 mins before heading out past the heads.

I have seen too many people who thought they didnt get seasick go green once further offshore.

The ones i trust are the "blue" Travacalms. Dont get the "Orange" ones, they are the ginger pills and dont do crap once you are hit hard offshore.

The ET pills are good but pricey and a hassle to get. They contain the same substance as Travacalms but with "Caffeine" added to help you stay awake. The side effects of any sea sickness pills is severe drowsiness. The caffeine helps to relieve the drowsiness.

If you get the blue travalcalms and take one with a "no doz" caffeine tablet, this will do the same job as ET tablets.

I thought the blue Travacalms did contain caffine. May be wrong though. I dont get any side effects from taking them either. No dry mouth, no drowsiness. Like taking nothing only it stops me feeling sick. All good.

+1 for travacalm...the original one (blue/white box)...just take 1 tablet 1 hour before you hit the water...then every 5/6 hours...don't take more than 1tab each time...took 2tabs the 1St time and felt like i drank a bottle of gin...drink plenty of water...

Hey mate,

I use travel calm but I find having a breakfast of toast works good before and to keep your stomach working. I normally have a pack of biskets and just have a bite now and then. A few times last year at Forster I had a meat pie or sausage roll and try never stayed down no mater what I took.

Martin

Just a friendly reminder that when getting any "over the counter" medication, try consult your pharmacist and/or GP. Some meds do have side affects and could have bad reactions to certain people with health problems when taken.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Personally i've had great results with "Saxby's" ginger beer, not just myself but others i've taken on the boat that get sick.

Dr Karl is quoted as saying something like "if there are many cures for a condition, they probably don't work, but if there is one cure, then it will work." However, seasickness seems to be an exception. Just about everything mentioned above will work for someone. You've just got to find what will work for you.

Travelcalm, or ginger extract, seems to be the most popular remedy. They even tested seasickness remedies on Mythbusters and came up with ginger as being the most effective cure.

Personally, I find avoiding any swell over 3mm to be the ticket. I may never catch a yellowfin tuna, but neither will I contribute my stomach contents to the berley stream!!!!

Cheers,

Nursie