Botany Bay Friday 11th - Another king meets my knife =)

quintrex480

Hi Raiders, being the last week of my holidays, wanted to get out as much as possible.

On the water at 9, spent 2 HOURS!!! in 4 different locations for 1 medium size squid, think it had to do with the dirty water and crap everywhere turning them off. Think the squid liked the jig as it matched it's eyes :D

Stripped the squid up for 4 strips and a head. Lost the head and 3 strips to pickers, have a suspicion it could be jackets as not only did it come back with no strip, but no bloody hooks either!! :ranting2:

Down to the last strip and the elastic goes ping! It went 70cm. Out of squid, decided to try and downrig an x-rap, and picked up a nice size tailor :D

Turned one fillet of the king to normal sashimi, and the other one to a a recipe a friend gave to me, Kingfish sashimi with passion fruit, mint lemon grass and roasted rice powder. Had him over and he said it was better than the restaurants!! ahahah LOL, think it was the free sashimi and beers that was talking hehehe

post-16665-0-02545300-1357978443_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-46879700-1357978473_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-48327900-1357978497_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-94253600-1357978535_thumb.jpg

Hey buddy, great going that's another one to your list. :)

I hit the harbour on Saturday for a change and didn't start of all that well when my motor wouldn't start, starter motor decided not to cooperate. Dropped the auxiliary in and of we went.

Only managed one squid which I dr but only got picked at. Conditions where fantastic.

We did mange some nice table fish, bream, flathead, Trevally and flounder.

Still chasing that 2013 king, fingers crossed.

Mate your knife skills are looking exceptional,

You should consider taking up pro sushi chef lol.

Cheers Daniel.

Very nice, I'm still waiting for my first bay kingie.

Getting pretty frustrated actually.

Nice looking sashimi, I have a good cured kingfish recipe if you like that sort of thing??

Yes it has been quite a frustrating summer so far, but they are slowly trickling in. You'll be onto to them soon, just keep at it.

Haha. Well the restaurants couldn't possibly have gotten fish fresher than that I reckon.

Yes, very true. I still can't believe how much the markets charge for a slice of these guys. Unbelievable!!

Great catch mate. Can I ask...what's the best way to cut a squid up into strip baits?

There are 2 ways, one is to ring them like you would if you were making calamari rings, but that's if you have a big squid. The way I like to do it is to take the head off first and then slice it down the middle, open it up so you have one big piece, then depending on size is just slice it to make big triangles, don't be stingy on the size of your strips hehe then what I do is make 4-6 small cuts about 10-15cm on the bottom of the triangle (give's the strip some movement). Hope I was clear enough? If not PM me and I can send you a picture next time I do it.

Nice king and the sashimi looks yummy!!! Well done!!!

thanks mate.

Hey buddy, great going that's another one to your list. :)

I hit the harbour on Saturday for a change and didn't start of all that well when my motor wouldn't start, starter motor decided not to cooperate. Dropped the auxiliary in and of we went.

Only managed one squid which I dr but only got picked at. Conditions where fantastic.

We did mange some nice table fish, bream, flathead, Trevally and flounder.

Still chasing that 2013 king, fingers crossed.

Mate your knife skills are looking exceptional,

You should consider taking up pro sushi chef lol.

Cheers Daniel.

Yeah, still to add the hoodie to the list this summer, but from Savage73's post, I can feel it's just a trip or 2 away :thumbup:

nothing wrong with taking table fish home, it keeps me in the good books with the :wife:

ahahaha, the Mrs ain't too big a fan on the taste of raw fish, so I have to try and entice her with something different.

Quintero,

I love a good fishing post that starts with bait catching, moves through the catch and ends up on the table in a quality fashion....that's first class!

thanks mate, I feel like I spend so much time and effort in chasing these guys that I need to put in the same time and effort when I put it on the table for family and friends.

Edited by quintrex480