107cm King Fish off Vaucluse!

ALI-G

I've had quite a bit of bad luck recently what with broken rods and even lost an entire set up overboard! I was determined today was going to make up for it!!! Earlyish start today, was on the water at Rose Bay for 6am, managed to snag a few jelly bean sized squid. seemed to be quite a few about. did the usual rounds of the markers and the structures about Port Jackson with the livies but they kept getting annihilated by what I think must have been schools of leatherjackets, Very very annoying, also couldn't find the kings at all! anyway I decided to get some more squid after several hours of buggerin about I managed to spike a few more but again I couldn't seem to find and KIngs!!!??? Not even a rat.

I had now been on the water for 11 hours!!!! Decided to head over to try the white mooring to the right of Clifton Gardens with my last three squid. Just before I get there the battery decides to die leaving me without my sounder or Minn Kota!! GRRRRR

Anyway first drop with my only live squid left and wallop! the rod buckles over double in the holder, YESSSSSSS! but NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! the king had swallowed the squid even to the point that I was fighting him for about a minute but then it let go, I was using a circle hook that must not have done it's job!!! GUTTED!! it was a big fish too, :0( righto I thought got two more squid best get one down ASAP! Sent down the smaller one (expired) only for the rod to buckle again for half a second and then bonk! Squid gone!!!! Down to the last squid which was a big one. three drops and not even a touch. Devo, I decided to move for one last drop on the way home at the Yellow marker off Vaucluse. first drop and ZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

After an epic ten minute solo battle I landed the one I was after, He barely fitted in the environet! 107cm!!!

Tired but ecstatic I headed back in the slashing rain smiling my face off!!!!

And I did it all on my own!!!!!

A long day but well worth it!! I am STOKED!!!!! post-869-0-34734000-1358074189_thumb.jpg

Gear of choice, I was a little under gunned but I didn't expect THAT fish!!!

Shimano Terez 15-30lb rod

Shimano Twin Power 8000 Japan Model

50lb Power Pro braid

50lb Yo Zuri dissapearing pink Fluorocarbon leader

Wilson bearing swivel

7/0 Owner Mutu light wire

Edited by ALI-G

Holy smokes top stuff man. 11hrs effort but hell if that were me, that 11hr effort paid off. Top stuff man. Surprised you didn't get yelled at by the guy patrolling the area at clifton. Ive seen almost every boat which goes near that place cop an ear full from that guy.

If only the weather would play along. Check out the winds coming up for the next week. What's going on?!

Edited by SargeRX8

This my friend, is why I go fishing!!!

You have one of those days every now and then and it makes all of those early mornings, cold and wet days, lost tackle, hook pulls, reefed leaders, failed knots, squidless sessions, wet iphones, angry girlfriends, 35 knot winds worth every single second!!!! I feel like I caught that fish. Only a fisherman understands. Wrapped for you.

This my friend, is why I go fishing!!!

You have one of those days every now and then and it makes all of those early mornings, cold and wet days, lost tackle, hook pulls, reefed leaders, failed knots, squidless sessions, wet iphones, angry girlfriends, 35 knot winds worth every single second!!!! I feel like I caught that fish. Only a fisherman understands. Wrapped for you.

Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

Great story mate. I can just see you grinning maniacally all the way to the jetty in the driving rain. Definitely will inspire the dust to be wiped off a few peoples tackle this summer. Hope there's some action left!

It's almost better that you were there on your own. An even better sense of achievement I reckon as your patience paid off! I love a long session like that. Some days you get back in the car covered in bait entrails think what the fluff. Other days you're the hero. Top stuff. I salute you!