Jewfish vs kingy

Scratchie

Its hard to say. Prized in what way? For the fight they give? For the effort needed to catch one? I don't know what its like to fight a 1m fish of either of those species but the only jewfish Ive caught which flopped at just over 70cm was a pretty damn lazy fish. Felt like a port jackson, heavy swimmer with the odd headshake. But again at the same time it was my only jewfish in about a year of trying which made it all the more awesome. My first season trying for a king, I got a king and for a little rat it fought like a machine. Similar rod out fit. Those kings fight very nice but at the same time a aussie salmon can have you believing you might be onto a king, until he pops the surface.

I think the jewfish is more of a prized fish catch as, I believe, they are much harder to come by. If the season is right for kings and you've got the bait, chances are you'll get one. If the weather, the moon, the tide and the bait is right for a jewfish, you have a good chance of coming home empty handed.

King for me. My PB Jewie is only 68cms but I have caught a King over a metre. Fishing for me is all about the anticipation, the preparation but ultimately, it's all about the excitement when you get that take and then you have a fight on your hands.

For me, the thrill that a Kingy gives you compared to a lazy fight of the Jewies far outweighs it.

Kings all the way!

Dave

I personally would say 100% jewfish. It depends in what way you mean. The fight you get from a meter king is something to behold and is an incredible catch, but for jewie anglers (like myself) all those quiet hours are completely made up for when a solid jewie is landed. Nothing beats it. I haven't landed a meter jew yet (97cm PB) nor have i landed a meter king (PB 67cm). Obviously a 67cm king doesn't compare to a meter king in terms of fight, and achievement. Maybe I'll find out soon what a meter king feels like but for now I'm 100% jew.

Some may disagree but jewfish are generally much harder to come by than kings and "generally" take a lot more time and in some cases effort (waking at 3am to catch live pike and squid) to catch. They're a real smart fish, and for me the moment i got my first jew clearly outweighed the moment i got my first king. Even though my jew was caught on 40lb gear and king on 6lb the jewie was more valuable to me.

Not at all saying meter kings aren't a prized catch, they certainly are. Takes a lot of angling skill to put one in the boat!

That's just my 20 cents worth. Interested to see other opinions.

In fact, this thread has motivated me to put in for my first yak jewie tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

Catching a Jew is like finally getting a date with that great looking girl who's been knocking you back for ages, feels good to finally get there.

Kings again I can compare to a girl, but this time, not as hard to get, but once you've got her hooked there's no certainty she's yours ;)

Fishingphase

Catching a Jew is like finally getting a date with that great looking girl who's been knocking you back for ages, feels good to finally get there. Kings again I can compare to a girl, but this time, not as hard to get, but once you've got her hooked there's no certainty she's yours ;) Fishingphase

I like the way you think!

Mulloway all the way!

100% big Jew as there is a real potential for fish over 30kg even in Sydney. Hook one over 20kg and the last thing you'll call the fight is lazy.. Kings fight harder that's for sure but you're not going to catch kings in the mammoth sizes you can get big Jew if following moon/tide/right bait. Kings are also far easier to deceive.. The mighty Mulloway doesn't come easy.

I think the jewfish is more of a prized fish catch as, I believe, they are much harder to come by. If the season is right for kings and you've got the bait, chances are you'll get one. If the weather, the moon, the tide and the bait is right for a jewfish, you have a good chance of coming home empty handed.

Hahaha :074:

i am 100% in favor of the mighty mulloway..

it has taken me abit under 2 years to land my first jew... even though it was not a big fish coming in at just over legal... It was 11 at night and when that line started peeling off the baitrunner,,(the moment that had took 20months to happen) was truly awesome.. It is about the hunt and the effort put into catching fish and when the ghost of the estuary was finally in my grasp it was amazing. With kingies u could be super lucky and find a school of them at any time of the day and all u have to do is drop something down like a plastic or yakka and ur almost certain u will bang into a few.. So a 1 metre jew would out do any 1m king

im pretty sure there more than a few places where you can go and confidently know theres meter plus kingies that can be caught one after the other ,eg lord howe ,Nz nth island but not many where you can catch XO jewies like that