Uglyest fish of the Month from Port Macquarie

one fishes

G'day all went out for a snapper session today and had a little success. I've done a few firsts since moving up here like an over 1m mark kingy, Jewies on soft plastics and now this my first snapper on soft plastics. So headed out over the bar (3rd time) when first light hit, always a bit dubious when you cant see the swell. Got too our destination and first cast with a nemisis soft plastic and zzzzzzzz im on about 40 sec in to it pop lost a stonker fish, when it pulls 15kg braid with a 20kg leader and dusts you, you know it was a stonker! 15min later i got this 80cm or 800mm and around 7ish kilos specimen post-8874-0-14578900-1364625273_thumb.jpg for the next 3 hrs it was a little slow with a few lost fish but steady all the same with a total of 4 fish caught the last three were around the 2kg mark post-8874-0-55408100-1364625376_thumb.jpg. I must say the big guy was about an ugliesh fish that i have ever seen and should hold some kind of record like ugliest fish caught or maybe ugliest fish of the month :blink:

What on earth is wrong with that red?! Mate, nothing wrong with that red at all, beaut of a fish!

lol take a look at its noggin, i here spec savers has a sale on lol just kidding :bleh: , still there should be an ugliest fish of the month not the ugliest fisho :eyeballs:, yeah it is a nice fish no matter how you see it :beersmile:

wow that is ugly. I've always wondered if the hump was flesh or cartilage?

The hump is very hard and bony, and a fair way back when trying to fillet, so maybe its cartilage that turns to bone. My question is why do they go like that and what is the purpose? maybe someone here can shed some light.

Where did u get those beast s mate ! Top effort

Those beasts come from around 30m's of water some km's south of the Port Mac Bar, cant disclose the exact location i would get shot :gun_bandana:, all caught using the Birkly 6.5inch nemesis wiggly tale plastics.

Great catch there mate! 7kg..... I bet 5kg is just the head!!! Hope you did get some fillets off it. Cheers scratchie!!!

Yeah mate we got some nice fillets off it and yes the frame and head was quite heavy and is now taking up half the freezer space, that weight of 7ish kilo's was a gestimate as i did not weigh it, may have even gone heavier, i will never know. Going to cook up one of the smaller ones tonight and have been looking at some oven baked standing style recipes. Havent decided how to cook the fillets yet maybe a light crumb would be best there.

. My question is why do they go like that and what is the purpose? maybe someone here can shed some light.

Most Likley an Evolutionary throwback (i.e Useless)

That is a STONKER reddie. Grats Mate!!

This is interesting

Hyperostosis

As they grow, all pink snapper develop bony humps on the forehead. This is called ‘hyperostosis’, or above-normal bone growth. Older males also grow fleshy bumps on the snout and it is thought that the males use these bumps to nudge females at breeding time, as if to stimulate the release of eggs.

Who knows why

In NZ they don't get this problem unless they are found in very deep water but even then it's never this bad the bump is weird

Stoker red - no matter how bumpy it is !

The lumps are deformities caused by parasites that are eaten as part of the fish's diet.

They deform the bone as it grows.

Doctor Junian Pepperill spoke about it on one of ET's fishing shows...

I would BBQ a fish of that size and keep it basted with oil, lemon juice and herbs....

Just make sure you don't overcook it else it will dry out, and being a large fish would be a bit dry to begin with....

Well done on that catch mate - and I do reckon that fish is over 7kg...

Tony