Port Hacking 05/05/13 ....Monster Trevally

dwan8337

Hi Raiders,

Had a pretty productive day on the hacking around Lilli Pilli...most notably one of the biggest Trevally i've seen around measured 61cm. For most of the fight I thought I was onto a decent Kingy...didn't stop taking drag. On the first run it had my Thunnus 4000 onto the backing although i must confess there wasn't much braid on it in the first place maybe 80-100m. My mate Adrian aided the capture of this beast courtesy of some impressive boat work.

Action didn't stop from the moment we got there, mostly Watson's leaping bonitos and good sized bream. The bonnies were taking anything you threw at them, it was one of those days. A spoon with a hook on the end of it would have worked I reckon. Took a few home for a feed of sashimi rest were caught and released didn't bother with photos.

Gear:

Lox snapper rod

Thunnus 4000

8lb varivas squid leader

post-17226-0-36608000-1367733734_thumb.jpg

Wow!!

I've seen them that big at Lord Howe Island but never around Sydney. What a monster. Did you eat it as sashimi as well or are the bonnies better?

reeltired

Narh we let this big boy back to fight another day. Bonnies are definitely my favourite sashimi if you bleed and ice straight away. Try the one with the fish slice on top of the rice ball+soy sauce and wasabi =p they are heavenly if prepared right.

Congrats mate.

That is the biggest silver Trevally I've EVER seen!! :thumbup:

Sounds like an awesome days fishing.

Well done.

Cheers,

Grant.

Cheers mate! Yer I've landed some 45-50's at Clifton gardens during winter and around middle harbour but this one just tops it off! Even seeing colour my mate called it a kingy i called it a trev...you know it's something when you can see the fish and don't know what the hell it is :074:

Dave

Congrats on a thumper trev! May I ask what wait and rig (hook sizes) did you use?

I had a size 2/0 live bait mustad hook. We were cubing with pillies and luring at the same time. So the bonnies that follow the lures and don't take eventually takes something else. I find the live bait hooks bury into the cubes better without showing any part of the the hook except for the eye which is important. My mate prefers small tuna circle hooks because its too tiring for him to set the hook =p

Rig's nothing special just weightless floated down the trail.

Edited by dwan8337

That's a Hacking mini -GT man! What a monster. I love catching trevally so I can only imagine the fight you had with that beast. Well done on your other captures as well

Welldone mate great trev :banana: , my bro got a big one a month or so back that was up around 70 so it looks like there is an influx of BIG trevally in the hacking. Good to hear the watsons are back, have been waiting for a while, will give it a go in the next few days, by the way are they only watsons or are there some normal bonito mixed in as well?

That certainly is a monster trev! Would have been a great fight. I caught one at 45cm last week and thought it was a kingy too! And releasing it for someone else to have a go, top job!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Welldone mate great trev :banana: , my bro got a big one a month or so back that was up around 70 so it looks like there is an influx of BIG trevally in the hacking. Good to hear the watsons are back, have been waiting for a while, will give it a go in the next few days, by the way are they only watsons or are there some normal bonito mixed in as well?

I cannot fathom what a 70 would do :clapping: last couple of weeks there were some common bonito mixed in there, but this week only the Watsons. i've noted they rock up around this time late March all through to May.

Well that just makes my 48cm PB look like a tadpole and i remember the fight that tadpole gave me earlier this year it was the best 4 mins iv'e had on Botany this year so that monster must have been an awesome experience well done

cheers Mark

wow nice trev.

I got one years ago in the harbour off the admirals yatch wharf at kirribili.

It had a tag saying to contact NSW fisheries.

Apparently it was a competition and the then premier neville wran released it under the harbour bridge.

Anyone that caught it won 25 grand i think it was.

Wouldnt you know it, I caught it 3 weeks after the competition ended, DOH!, lol.

wow nice trev.

I got one years ago in the harbour off the admirals yatch wharf at kirribili.

It had a tag saying to contact NSW fisheries.

Apparently it was a competition and the then premier neville wran released it under the harbour bridge.

Anyone that caught it won 25 grand i think it was.

Wouldnt you know it, I caught it 3 weeks after the competition ended, DOH!, lol.

25 Grand! brand new spanking 4 stroke for ya or a very good 2nd hand boat =(