Finally back in syd...out for a flatty flick surprise jewie bycatch!

sootopia

Hello Raiders!

Finally back to sydney after a long 6 weeks up in grafton on prac!....foolishly didn't bring any fishing gear up with me so haven't been able to wet a line!

Lucked out with my 2nd placement block so im in sydney and near my fishing haunts!

We hit one of our local spots....unfortunately i can't say where or i'd be lynched by the boys who showed me the spot....

just went for a quick sp's flick, both of us using our light spin gear hoping for a few flatties/bream. running 6 lb braid to 10lb fluro, 1/6-1/8 oz jigs to 4-5 inch power baits

high tide was at 6pm, getting dark around 5. we hit the stretch that is known to hold a few flatties.....flats dropping off to a few deeper holes

arrived at 3pm tides running in and we were quickly into a few fish

1st cast after a few twitches a small bump then im on to a junior flatty, mate calls out that hes on as well pulls up a decent flatty...

after an hour ended up with 2 keepers and 4 undersized. the lighter contrast colors doing the damage.

4:15 and school zones ended we decide to get rdy to pack up, last few flicks! on the 3rd lift after casting into one of the big holes my rod goes off for a blistering run, reel screaming ZzzzzzzZ,

was fishing 1-2kg of drag and with newly spooled line i knew i had a decent amount of play so just let it run, 1/2 way through the spool and its slowing down starting to feel head shakes,

fish turns and starts swimming back towards me and im left furiously taking up line, im screaming out JEWWIEEE to my mate and he quickly comes over to watch the action,

fish goes off for another solid run, this time its swimming around the point and im left trying to steer it back to where i want it to go.....

almost to the end of the spool now....i start putting on more pressure, feathering the spool then disaster.....line goes slack F#@$!!!!! .........

winding in the line still feeling weight ......fish must have spat the hook

I get the jig in and the hook has straightened F@#$% dodgy nitro jigs !!!!

mean time my mate has renewed his interest and has got his plastic back out again, aiming for the big hole

i head back to our gear and am re rigging and i hear him shout IM ON!!! JEWIE

bastard....

initial fight goes pretty much the same, jew must have followed the plastic out of the hole and picked it up just before the flats then ripped off to the right, this time it pretty much goes perfectly to plan,

swims out to the right where there no snags and lots of room to play the fish and stays out to the right.

fish goes for 3-4 big runs, my mate had his drag set abit harder and the fish is playing by the book

15 mins later he beaches a nice 90+ cm jew

bastard indeed :(

oh well thats fishing, we must have flicked through a school of jews!

tried for another 30min then called it a day as it was getting dark

great session for ~2 hrs of fishing and my 1st in 6 weeks!

Brilliant bycatch especially on light gear !

post-16452-0-40799900-1367846268_thumb.jpg

post-16452-0-51097900-1367846273_thumb.jpg

post-16452-0-59066300-1367846278_thumb.jpg

post-16452-0-00537800-1367846285_thumb.jpg

post-16452-0-03340100-1367846294_thumb.jpg

post-16452-0-62546700-1367846303_thumb.png

Edited by Egg-Soup

A few nice fish there.

Some of those jig heads have rather thin hooks, as you can see, a bit too thin. Hard mouthed fish, such as bream, can just squash them.

This makes me want to get up and go for a fish. Unfortunately I got sick while fishing a couple days ago!! Top stuff, really impressive. I know you don't want to give location away but is this in the middle harbour system?

They start to get real good eating at that size. Fish looks nice and healthy. Remember tide etc and hit that spot again under similar circumstances. That's the trick to Jews as I reckon you get like a 30 minute window in certain places.

Mike

This makes me want to get up and go for a fish. Unfortunately I got sick while fishing a couple days ago!! Top stuff, really impressive. I know you don't want to give location away but is this in the middle harbour system?

yea its near the middle harbour system

They start to get real good eating at that size. Fish looks nice and healthy. Remember tide etc and hit that spot again under similar circumstances. That's the trick to Jews as I reckon you get like a 30 minute window in certain places.

Mike

haha yes i have every detail recorded......i have caught jews nearby but usually on live bait and its always within a 30min-1hr tide period! prob got something to do with the tide filling up the holes....this is a first for SP's tho