Berowra nightfish

Chillifishi

Hard day at work, kids in bed by 730, means only one thing - rod, reel and lure bag into the boot and off to the local for a few hours of peace and healing 😁.

Since getting a 1-3 kg ultra light set up, I haven't been showing my 2500 Stradic and 2-4 kg Pfleuger Triton much love lately, so this is my gear of choice.

Traditionally I would use a normal jighead with my plastics, but I decide to give wormhook-plus-ball-sinker-in-loopknot-weedless set up a go. Safe to say it worked just fine!

I get on the water about 830 and start throwing around a 2.5 inch baitjunkie minnow with a dash of Sfactor and get pantsed a couple of times.

After about half an hour a gutsy soapie takes the lure.

Another hour or so in and two flatties and another (tiny) soapie later I decide to call it, thoroughly satisfied with the sesh, 4 fish and plenty of down time and fresh air!20220815_221511.thumb.jpg.6c5bc5858bbccc4c55fcf3d26f2bd2c2.jpg20220815_221152.thumb.jpg.55542047fae19700b397b225deacae97.jpg

• Like 10

Nice report @Chillifishi! Looks like it was a fun session…but what I can’t get my head around is the kids in bed by 7.30 part! What’s your secret?

Worm hooks are awesome. I’ve had them buried in the plastic and mostly you still hook up, whilst avoiding snags. I also love the flexibility of being able to vary weights. Try Texas rigging them if you want to mix things up. Bullet sinkers are surprisingly easy to find, a couple of Australian suppliers sell them at a good price, and offer tungsten options too.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice report @Chillifishi! Looks like it was a fun session…but what I can’t get my head around is the kids in bed by 7.30 part! What’s your secret?

Worm hooks are awesome. I’ve had them buried in the plastic and mostly you still hook up, whilst avoiding snags. I also love the flexibility of being able to vary weights. Try Texas rigging them if you want to mix things up. Bullet sinkers are surprisingly easy to find, a couple of Australian suppliers sell them at a good price, and offer tungsten options too.

Hey mate! Haha my kids are both under 5 and a few years ago my wife and i just started to inch bed time bit by bit back to 730 ish. Since they cant tell the time yet, they didnt know the difference!

That Texas rig sounds fun, Ill give it a shot once I work through the current tackle Ive got:)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chillifishi said:

Hey mate! Haha my kids are both under 5 and a few years ago my wife and i just started to inch bed time bit by bit back to 730 ish. Since they cant tell the time yet, they didnt know the difference!

That Texas rig sounds fun, Ill give it a shot once I work through the current tackle Ive got:)

Sounds easy, but nothing works for us! And in any case we're pooped by 9pm anyway. So we all go to bed then.

On the flip side, I can get up at 4-5am to go fishing without any trouble whatsoever. But more often than not, there's 1000 things to do in the mornings, so doesn't always happen...

Have you tried fishing with bread baits at Berowra? Plenty of really good bream (1-2m down) and mullet/garfish if you use tiny baits/hooks and keep your bait on or near the surface. A big mullet would give you plenty of entertainment on the 1-3kg rod.

A bit of fun there. Good to see the little jews are about. Have caught a few little  ones like that, and they managed to get a large bait on a 3/0 hook into their gob. Aggressive for their small size.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

A bit of fun there. Good to see the little jews are about. Have caught a few little  ones like that, and they managed to get a large bait on a 3/0 hook into their gob. Aggressive for their small size.

Yes they quite often bite off more than they can chew haha

On 8/16/2022 at 8:36 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Sounds easy, but nothing works for us! And in any case we're pooped by 9pm anyway. So we all go to bed then.

On the flip side, I can get up at 4-5am to go fishing without any trouble whatsoever. But more often than not, there's 1000 things to do in the mornings, so doesn't always happen...

Have you tried fishing with bread baits at Berowra? Plenty of really good bream (1-2m down) and mullet/garfish if you use tiny baits/hooks and keep your bait on or near the surface. A big mullet would give you plenty of entertainment on the 1-3kg rod.

I have tried small baits there (prawn, pillies) but not bread. Ever since starting on soft plastics havent used any kind of bait, not cause i have anything against bait, but i just wanted to stop myself from giving up in the soft plastics prematurely and now am thoroughly addicted!

Speaking of mullet, got these in a sesh some months ago on a 2.5 inch zman grubz! There  was a huge school of them milling around, they took the lure, which i understand is rare but not unheard of. 100% they gave me some great adrenaline pumping runs on the 1-3kg and the 1000 Sienna😄 no luck in them since20220630_230436.thumb.jpg.15dfb7e2fc2bedf8570b85687ea8ce56.jpg20220630_223958.thumb.jpg.420f5f3a96a6f19fb3403481303396c3.jpg

• Like 5