Big Lizard and a few bream - 21/6/13

rjc123

Hey Raiders,

Had a free day and went for a landbased session in the harbour. Aim was to find a few flatties and bream (quick jew flick as well) but more so to test out my new combo. Nordic Stage Arael Jaegar 4-8lb stick matched to the 2013 certate (2004 model - shallow spool). Things started quietly but after a little while the first flatty of the day arrived. Only a small fish around the 40cm mark. Moved on and had a good hit at the next spot. Struck up onto A LOT of weight. A couple of headshakes and straight away i was concerned about my 6lb leader :( A few minutes later a good flatty emerges. Was interesting landing him on the rock wall with no net or lip grips and 6lb leader. She went 70 and a great flatty on silly string. Once again the little 2.5" zman grub in watermelon red doing the damage.

post-14949-0-09552300-1371804545_thumb.png post-14949-0-71781900-1371804698_thumb.png

As the morning progressed the flathead seemed to have disappeared but luckily the bream were happy to play along. Managed half a dozen or so around the 30cm mark. Only downside of the day was losing a couple of blades to the swarms of tailor around at the moment! Overall i think i certainly put the new gear through it's paces and can't wait to do it again!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

How does the Nordic Stage go. I am thinking of getting the 7 foot version.

Do you get a decent cast with light lures

Nice fish btw. The z-mans are killing it right now

So far im really happy with it. I will say though is it's definitely not a 4-8lb rod.... VERY LIGHT stick. To put it in perspective yakkas would put a good bend in it. They have plenty of lower grunt though so in a way the lightness works well. Fun on the small/average fish and still has enough to stop the bigger fish.

Well done mate...just wondering whereabouts where u fishing if u dont mind sharing...thanks...you said "harbour"...is it mh???

Yeah in the Middle Harbour area. Plenty of fish around if you know where to look. The salmon are in now. Bust ups everywhere today but all out of reach.

Great fish mate! What an awesome setup too! Ive got a GL2 2-6lb and a 2004 TD Sol ll and i absolutely love it. I fish in the harbour aswell, landbased as i dont have a boat. Just wondering if you are willing to share where you go landbased fishing ? I would really appreciate it. Cheers

Great fish mate! What an awesome setup too! Ive got a GL2 2-6lb and a 2004 TD Sol ll and i absolutely love it. I fish in the harbour aswell, landbased as i dont have a boat. Just wondering if you are willing to share where you go landbased fishing ? I would really appreciate it. Cheers

Nice sounding combo mate! The old sol was a great reel so i assume the newey is even better. I do a lot of my fishing in middle harbour. At the moment, head down around sugarloaf bay and work the foreshore. There's a spot called the "steps" that produces some good fish pretty consistantly. Blades are a good option this time of year. You should pick up flatties, a couple of bream and a few good trevally doing this.

Edited by mulloway man

Go Tom!

That is a cracker lizard and shoulders like Paul Gallen! What depth did you pluck her from?

She was very fat! Roughly 4-5m deep i'd say. She was sitting quite close in. Plenty of them sitting on the flats at the moment trying to keep warm.

Edited by mulloway man

Excellent work Tom and congratulations on the new outfit! No doubt it will continue to produce plenty of quality fish for you.

I love the way you plonked the Zman on the big lizard's head for the photo! Top effort landing it on 6lb from a rockwall with no net :thumbup::thumbup:

If I'm not feeling too lazy when fishing rockwalls I try to take a net with me with a long handle and it still gets interesting for me trying to land them!

Sorry to hear you lost a few blades.

Keep up the nice work Tom and thanks for sharing.

All the best

Ian