For Paikea

stormy

I was going to help a mate out today, teaching a couple of newbies some of the setups for luderick fishing. I told him we could meet at the rocks around 7am as it was going to get pretty hot today and I didn't want to stay out too long. I was then informed that the blokes wouldn't get up that early and could I make it 11am. Now, these guys are retired but younger than me, so I said, see you at 7am.
Arrived at close to the bottom of the tide and the water looked fantastic. The wind was NW but dropping, so the drift would be fine. Rigged up and cast my first bait in at 7.30am with not a soul anywhere to be seen. I had made a half dozen new floats through the week and wanted to check they were properly balanced, so didn't really think too much about a fish. Float went down at a steady pace and I lifted the rod into a nice, solid fish. Landed him and clipped on a new float. The fish were around three rod lengths out and I could make out big 'balls' of them as they were playing around, making friends prior to spawning. The downs were firm and positive and resulted in a hook up each time. Didn't lose a single hookup today, but did get baited several times. In next to no time, I had eight fish all over 40cms in the bag, so decided to call it a day. It was 9.30am.
Played around for another half hour with weed flies and caught one fish. Hooked under the jaw on the outside, so I am guessing it inhaled the weed fly, didn't like it and spat it out just as I struck. Released to fight another day. On the way out, I drove past my mates house and his two learners were there, ready to go fishing. I told them that whatever they chose to do in life required a decision or priority. If they want to catch fish and get lessons, then get up when the teacher advises. If their priority is to stay in bed, then that is another choice to make. One of them told me he used to get up at 5am to go to work each day and felt he deserved to sleep in. I said, fine but you will not get to fish with me. Your choice. I then gave them my winning smile and was home by 11am.

post-11324-0-30912300-1380248660_thumb.jpg

Awesome write up stormy! As they say "the early bird catches the worm". I do the same thing with my mates! If the launch is 7am, it's not 8 or 9! And they are left there to stand on the dock! It's amazing how the next trip they are 30mins early!

Nice fish btw!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great read and great fish, they have a beautiful silver sheen unlike the esturary and lake luderick I've caught back in Vic.

I once offered to take some blokes out on the boat from work, 2 turned up at my place at 6am as instructed, then one called at 6:05 saying he just got up and do we mind if he has a shower before coming over to my place (he was 45 mins drive away!)

We told him to go back to bed and wait for the photos at work the next day :)