My First Soft Plastic Fishing Trip.

Basil D

Well after all the Dramas Ive had Im finally back on the water and Have been talking to Formosan and Quintrex480 about using soft plastics, I have been out with other guys and never got the hang of using them nor did I want to, Anyway after some really helpful tuition from Formosan and Quintrex480 I decided that's it I gotta do it.

I got Chris to cancel his work and come out with me and told him noooooo bait but a block of pillies arrived and said just in case.

Headed down the coast bright and Early and was greeted with a gorges sunrise mildly cloudy morning.

Headed off to try a few spots and bang I was on at the first spot, I was thinking alright I got my first snapper on plastic only to see a Baker come up. Damm.

we got so many Bakers all chasing the plastics.

Anyway Chris's rod buckle and up came a snapper :ranting2: I was thinking is it going to be one of those days where Im not going to get one.

ok I tried to answer the phone trick and it didnt happen. next I had to go, you know what I mean I had to go,

Next thing Bang I was on, after a few minutes my first snapper on plastics :yahoo: It was a kind of nice feeling and no mess bait board, I think I will only hunt snapper on plastics from now on.

I had Tony Formosan constantly ringing me up and checking how I went and when I told him I got one he was stocked for me.

Great start to the day 2 snapper in an hour and was thinking it was going to be a great snapper day, spoke to soon, slowed right down, NE winds picked up and currents were too strong, Had two sea anchors out and wasn't hitting bottom, I had another fellow fish raider our there Dtrijan and kept in contact with us, Pete had more luck than us and bagged a few Good fish.

It wasn't the Biggest snapper Ive caught but certainly the most satisfying so It was a great day for me even though I only caught only one fish at.

I rang my wife and asked Her to buy banana leaves , coriander, lime, and a mango. I had the rest of the stuff needed to cook the fish with a recipe quintrex480 gave me and modified it a little, here it is, you have got to try it it was amazing.

3/4 small spoon Red thai chilii past, 3 table spoons Olive oil, 3 gloves crushed Garlic, half a mango mashed, one lime juiced, a pinch of salt, a dab of fish sauce, a dab of soy sauce, a dab of sesame oil, a small spoon crushed ginger and half bunch coriander chopped finely, mix a contents together in a bowl, cut strips in the fish, fill the cuts and the cavity of the fish with the ingredients, place foil on a bench then the banana leaves, place the fish on it, and cover the fish with more leaves and wrap the whole lot up in the fold. place in a pre heated oven and cook, temperature and time will depend on the size of the fish just check and make sure the flesh peels of the bone easily.

Get another glove of Garlic, one lemon juiced, salt to taste, table spoon olive oil, dash of sesame oil and pour it over the cooked fish, dont loose any of the juices, place in a large plate and serve, ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumoooooooooooooo.post-8352-0-44363600-1383380439_thumb.jpgpost-8352-0-72256500-1383380458_thumb.jpg

Great to see you back on the water Mr Groper!

I had a laugh when you dedicated this trip to SP's only and took a block of pillies. Lmfao :) I did the same thing.

But great read, fish and recipe to go with it.

How did the boat perform?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great to see you back on the water Mr Groper!

I had a laugh when you dedicated this trip to SP's only and took a block of pillies. Lmfao :) I did the same thing.

But great read, fish and recipe to go with it.

How did the boat perform?

Cheers scratchie!!!

well we ended up with a third rod each when things slowed right down but nothing was on. Boat is going great.

I will be in the new castle area soon might sneek up your way and have a fish with you.

Hey Groper..Good result mate and top report... congratz.

Many more to come I bet..

It is great to have a clean bait board and cleaner boat in general by just using plastics :banana: .

Got back to the boat ramp and yeah not much to clean for a change, Peter Dtrojan came over and said Hi.

I see you posted the before photos but not the after photos , i wonder what was left over? because if i had my way i would be sucking those leaves dry when everything else was licked clean.

Nothing left for after shot :P

Yum mouth is already drooling

Well done on the snapper

I to try to hav plastic only days but somehow keep ending up witg bait

Cheers

Thats what kept happening to me but I think I will keep on persevering

Well done groper by the sounds of it you have caught the plastics bug

Oh yeah

Well done! Recently cracked my first SP fish too definitely got the bug!

What line and leader weight were you using mate?

What a feed! Saving that for next fish for sure!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Well done! Recently cracked my first SP fish too definitely got the bug!

What line and leader weight were you using mate?

What a feed! Saving that for next fish for sure!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

20lb red braid and 20lb black magic Leader 1 ounce and 3/4 jig heads, and tried a few different colored Gulp plastics out there

I admit it.....I was a sceptic for quite some time and was always a strong advocate of fresh or preferably, live bait. But I finally surrendered to the soft plastics and they are the way to go, Not sure if there is anything you cannot catch on these things. Still remember my first fish on the plastics, thought it might have been a fluke, but it certainly wasn't and the boat is so much cleaner these days!

Well done Groper. Good to see you trying the plastics and better that you caught some reds. It took me a couple years to be convinced and switch but I'm 100% converted and can't recommend them enough. My boats never smelt better lol and I believe that you may not get big numbers like little pans size squire you will get the big ones that smash them. Ill b waiting for your next report showing us your new PB.

Well done Groper. Good to see you trying the plastics and better that you caught some reds. It took me a couple years to be convinced and switch but I'm 100% converted and can't recommend them enough. My boats never smelt better lol and I believe that you may not get big numbers like little pans size squire you will get the big ones that smash them. Ill b waiting for your next report showing us your new PB.

you are right, my biggest haul was 20 pannies but no Big fish amongst them,

post-8352-0-39278400-1383468641_thumb.jpgpost-8352-0-25199100-1383468808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Two things..... First, when you up this way, give me a bell for sure!

Second, if you can catch that many pannies in one session, go back to bait! I would.

Cheers scratchie!!!

hahahaha. I said thats my biggest haul on bait. That doesn't always hapen. Edited by Groper