Port stephens whiting

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Headed out yesterday morning early in the hope of getting an early morning king and trying to beat tourists at the boat ramp. Well, I didn't manage either. A lot of traffic and no kings!

While me and the young fella were out there, the wife rings up and says they all want to come, so pick them up and change plans to chase whiting. It's always great fun chasing whiting and the kids love it. We all managed to get a few and a million small squire but that's ok too because it keeps the little ones entertained.

post-24974-0-45711400-1389056749_thumb.jpg

While we were drifting we noticed a few squid following up our hooks, so my eldest tried to net them. He almost managed to get it in the net but he missed.

The squid didn't miss him though!

post-24974-0-49320400-1389056957_thumb.jpg

Anyway, we took home a feed that was demolished in seconds and had a bit of fun out on the water!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey Scratchie,

Those trumpeter whiting a oh soooooo sweet.

I fillet and debone them for the kids and they hoover them down.

Nice blue swimmer too - I wonder who had the pleasure of eating that one.

Well it's obvious who ate squid ink though....

Lol, the poor bloke will remember that one one for a while.

...and NEVER allow himself to be photographed again while wearing ink....

In fact, he will probably try to con others into getting inked then photographing them...

Gotta love that...

Tony

Nice feed what bait were you using.....its always a challenge to get good bait.

They look like trumpeter whiting...sweeeet.

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Trumpeter they are! They are everywhere up here all year round. Bait was just packet prawns. I do usually pump nippers but was a bit lazy this time.

Hey Scratchie,

Those trumpeter whiting a oh soooooo sweet.

I fillet and debone them for the kids and they hoover them down.

Nice blue swimmer too - I wonder who had the pleasure of eating that one.

Well it's obvious who ate squid ink though....

Lol, the poor bloke will remember that one one for a while.

...and NEVER allow himself to be photographed again while wearing ink....

In fact, he will probably try to con others into getting inked then photographing them...

Gotta love that...

Tony

Cheers tony, my kids enjoy eating them beer battered. And yes I ate the crab, yum!

We all had a good laugh at the squid ink! :)

Hey Scratchie! We'll done on the catch...love the pic of your son, I'm in port Stephens at the moment going for a fish tomorrow, where abouts did you get the whitings from? Cheers

Mate they're everywhere in 3-6m of water. Try the sand flats northern side of the jetty at soldiers point. Just outside the anchorage or at Taylor's beach. The important part is the depth of 3-6m.

Use prawn or nippers, small running sinker, 40-50cm leader and small shank. Drift in your boat. When the sinker hits the bottom just lift it up about 10-20cm. This will stop you getting it caught on any weed about.

With any fishing in the bay keep your bait off the bottom or all you'll end up with is shovel nose sharks!

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey Scratchie,

Love ur work. I'm taking the kids out tomorrow to try and emulate your triumph.

Did someone say 20 fish in 60mins?

Lol. Yeah no prob! Well you should know where to go! Don't forget to drift between them to buoys!

Hey scratchie,

Im even more cranky now after reading your report. My planned trip to the port was rudely interrupted by that dirty word,

WORK. Great to see you had some luck. Hopefully I can get up there one of these days.

Cheers Daniel

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nice whiting mate and what a haul! :)

All I seem to catch are tiny ones from the beach near my house at Tanilba Bay - There seems to be plenty of them here though - even if sometimes the bait is bigger than the whiting :D

My last monster whiting catch yesterday:

th_20140117_092816_AdmiraltyAve_zps823f5

Reckon I might drive the car over and try Tilligerry Creek near bull island (The closest I can get to Taylors beach within a short driving distance) I struggle identifying the whiting though unfortunaltly, which is annoying because I might be chucking back "legal" fish and Ive never tried whiting before but heard they are very yummy