Great day on Estuary Perch and a NEW PB

Decided to go solo today for a spin up in the lakes at Chipping Norton today and with the overcast conditions I was feeling pretty confident.

Lately Donna and I have been getting plenty of Eps and today was as good as it gets with over 20 landed and a fair few over 40cms which is awesome so close to home....most were taken on the lava wriggler and 1.5grm jig head and 4lb braid and the bigger fellas put up a great fight on the light rods.

post-256-0-44895300-1389154821_thumb.jpg post-256-0-40471600-1389154828_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-22895000-1389154870_thumb.jpg post-256-0-14366500-1389154883_thumb.jpg

I tried for a jewie as well and scored a nice flathead for my troubles but alas no silver slabs home today.

post-256-0-47390700-1389154837_thumb.jpg

Whilst jigging for jewies I came up tight on my new PB :whistling: THIS LITTLE GEM :harhar: I don't know how long it had been in the water but I would guess years.

post-256-0-96546200-1389154847_thumb.jpg post-256-0-29554000-1389154859_thumb.jpg

Home early and really pleased with how the lake is fishing and the water looks great and is 24.5 c.

Regards Stewy

Nice work Stewy , have never put my boat in the lakes but after seeing these pics i think you may have convinced me to give it a crack one Friday arvo as it's 5 mins from work .Where do you launch from ? do you release everything being that far up the river ? rgds Mark

Nice work Stewy. Looks like some fat ep's there....that lava wriggler has been a favourite for some time now. Maybe the prawns are nuclear colour that far up the river...lol.

Are they taking any surface lures?

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Nice work skipper, you always seem to do well in there. A couple of questions though... Since they are so closely related to bass and they have a habit of sometimes interbreeding with each other I am curious if they can be found in the same sort of places in the estuaries and caught with the same techniques. The reason I ask is because I have caught many bass through the years but never managed an EP. Also I have never caught a bass or EP with plastics (they have all been on hard bodies and cicadas)... What techniques do you use on the plastics to get them? For example a slow roll or drop and twitch? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks mate.

Luc.

Nice work again Stewy on the EP's. Still have not had enough success at the lakes lately to be post worthy, but then again dont think I have put in enough hours....I wont give up, its too close to home!

Great session there Stewy. Congrats on the PB - did you manage to work out the make of rod and reel? I once pulled out an old Abu Garcia reel from the beach at Kurnell and managed to make it work enough for my eldest son to catch a flatty on it! It's since been retired to the 'old reels' bin at home ...

....The New PB was that rod :puke: and you have got to come down here and have a bash on the lakes...you will love it Roberta :wub:....

I MUST DO THAT!!! Been saying that for years, eh :blush: - it is just amazing how time just gets chewed up when we are in Sydney (which is not often!!) Grrrr

I will put that one of my 2014 'wish list' ...... and I WILL do it this year! That is a promise! "D

Thanks, Stewy!! Do they have the same 'closed season' as bass?

Roberta

....Yes Roberta but you can still catch and release them

mentor.gif....

Cool, Stewy - I will even try to convince Sails/Cam to come too - tho he reckons he is disadvantaged when fishing with me, cos he's never caught anything when within 'cooeee' of me fishing .... yet!! :074: That alone, Could be the 'challenge of the day!' :clapping:

Will be in touch next time we are due to be in Sydney .... and available for an EP HOOKUP!

cheerio

Roberta