Sydney Harbour Wet Weekend

DaveTheBoy

Put in a good effort on Vday which permitted me a fishing pass. Spent probably 10 or so hours over the weekend standing in the rain soaking livies (slimy & yakka), live and fresh squid, squid strips. I always have one out on the bottom with lead, and one under a balloon (livey) or unweighted (squid).

Livies were no trouble to come by at all, however the squid were surprisingly tough to catch. Have been averaging 15+ most trips lately, could only get a handful all weekend.

Managed to burley up a few rats right up against the pier into my trail of bread whilst catching livies, and as I was clearing my line to throw something their way one grabbed the sabiki jig & provided me with a fun 5 seconds before popping the light line. There were also some reasonable school mulloway coming right up on the burley later, though they couldn't be tempted even by unweighted live squid floated down on (relatively) light gear. Got me stumped!

Consoled from a total loss by keeping a handful of calamari and this flattie for the table which went just over 50cm. It was taken on a squid fished down on the sand, a few smaller models & a few passing tailor and trevally were released also.

post-12244-0-38825500-1392617355_thumb.jpeg

However I made a few new fishing buddies to pass the time, sometimes with the right crowd there is comradery on the piers.

Still on my adventure to land a king from the shore, still no dice for this guy.