King from the stones (at last!)

DaveTheBoy

It has been a while in the making, but finally landed my very first legal kingfish today from the rocks, a spur of the moment trip before work. Found a ledge that was unoccupied, watched the ocean for 10mins or so - then started fishing at 7am, was all done by 8:30am.

It measured 70cm, and was taken on an unweighted squid pinned simply on a single 3/0 Mustad 'Big Gun' hook - just flicked out into the wash from the rocks at the south end of Coogee (toward Maroubra).

post-12244-0-11395500-1392679200_thumb.jpeg

As soon as it hit, there was no doubting what it was - those things really do peel some line very quickly, the fish took its first big run away from the ledge which was to my advantage. I had already been dusted on 20lb gear on my first cast (which I think was a large salmon), and luckily switched up to my 30lb braid spool on which this was landed. I reckon they would have heard me cheering from Bondi as it came up over the ledge having nearly done me twice at the death!

post-12244-0-40645900-1392679226_thumb.jpeg

Also released a few small tailor & pike which took my fresh slimys fished in the same manner.

Whilst I would loved to have stayed on - I was fishing alone, I am not a hugely experienced rock fisho & the swell began to come up a bit so it just wasn't safe to stay out there.

Suffice to say I will never forget the feeling of the fight & those nervous last moments trying to land it unassisted, but it has been well worth the effort.

Also want to mention a big thanks to some fishraiders who have generously helped me with tips & advice (you know who you are) - and proof that nothing beats persistence and time on the water.

post-12244-0-44200500-1392679178_thumb.jpeg

Congrats mate...well done...landing a legal kingy off the rocks is not easy...thanks for sharing...you will be smiling for the next few weeks...one of my mate told me its better than getting laid...hahaha

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

It has been a while in the making, but finally landed my very first legal kingfish today from the rocks, a spur of the moment trip before work. Found a ledge that was unoccupied, watched the ocean for 10mins or so - then started fishing at 7am, was all done by 8:30am.

It measured 70cm, and was taken on an unweighted squid pinned simply on a single 3/0 Mustad 'Big Gun' hook - just flicked out into the wash from the rocks at the south end of Coogee (toward Maroubra).

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

As soon as it hit, there was no doubting what it was - those things really do peel some line very quickly, the fish took its first big run away from the ledge which was to my advantage. I had already been dusted on 20lb gear on my first cast (which I think was a large salmon), and luckily switched up to my 30lb braid spool on which this was landed. I reckon they would have heard me cheering from Bondi as it came up over the ledge having nearly done me twice at the death!

attachicon.gifimage_2.jpeg

Also released a few small tailor & pike which took my fresh slimys fished in the same manner.

Whilst I would loved to have stayed on - I was fishing alone, I am not a hugely experienced rock fisho & the swell began to come up a bit so it just wasn't safe to stay out there.

Suffice to say I will never forget the feeling of the fight & those nervous last moments trying to land it unassisted, but it has been well worth the effort.

Also want to mention a big thanks to some fishraiders who have generously helped me with tips & advice (you know who you are) - and proof that nothing beats persistence and time on the water.

attachicon.gifimage_1.jpeg

Awesome job mate great work! Solid fish! More kingies to come hopefully!

Congrats mate!!!, if you get the chance and the swell is down try Mackenzies Point ......wicked LB king spot,

Cheers

Where exactly is the spot mate...never heard of it...thanks...if u dont mind...

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Congratulations Dave on a thrilling capture :thumbup:

Nice write up and photos too!

Great that you sensed the dangers of the increasing swell and called it a day while you were well ahead.

Top way to start the day before work, that's if you still planned to go to work after that effort.

Keep up the tremendous work and thanks for sharing.

Ian