Bate Bay. don't bother , save your fuel

Geoff

Fished Bate Bay & a few places South. All the signs were good , 1mt Swell , 0-5knot wind, 22.5 degrees water temp , rising tide , overcast sky, Barometer 1024.

We were keen to get bait into the water but that is where the good news finishes. No fish on the bite!!!!!

Over several hours fishing from close in reefs out to around 40mt caught a Rass , Sweep , Sargent Baker & a small Reddie & 3 , 6" flatties

All were returned.

The only bit of excitement occurred off Shark Island when a timid school of Yakka appeared. We managed to catch 6.

Back at the ramp , spoke with a few guys & with the exception of one guy who caught a keeper Reddie , the story was the same , no fish & from the comments , this has been occurring for some time !!.

I guess there are good days & bad days & this was defiantly a bad day fish wise.

Will be fishing Bermagui at Easter , hopefully the fish will be a bit more cooperative in April.

Geoff

Yep ive caught a few rats too. Funny this time last year i was getting smashed by hoodies in gymea bay, landed a few legals but this year zip. I gave up on the Hacking and have been fishing lures in Botany. Damn shame. Still plenty of bread and butter species on the flats though but im sure you're already aware of that Yowie!

Yep ive caught a few rats too. Funny this time last year i was getting smashed by hoodies in gymea bay, landed a few legals but this year zip. I gave up on the Hacking and have been fishing lures in Botany. Damn shame. Still plenty of bread and butter species on the flats though but im sure you're already aware of that Yowie!

hey mate been getting a few rats nelly every week the biggest has been 67cm. Havent caught a 70 plus for a long time now

When u guys say the hacking, are you guys referring to inside the river ?

I've been around at the heads and it was pretty lively a few weeks back.

I was refering to outside however a few posts here refer to inside.

Geoff

Absolute joke guys I hear ya's...have been a a few times in and outside Botany Bay and the place is an absolute joke how can you cart around several live baits and dead baits 4 rods out the back of the boat and not even a run on any bait that goes in the water travelled over 20kms of water from coogee down to jibbon and a big fat zero. Heaps of bait on the surface but nothing chasing them. Only reports im hearing is Marlin being caught outside and a few dollies appearing near the fads. Im not sure what is going on with Kingies this season they seemed to have vanished. Very frustrating when it costs you $60 of fuel every trip out and coming back with 0 :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::wife::wife: Can anyone give me positive results anyone :wife:

Thank god ! I thought it was just me. Have not been able to raise a decent fish from the hacking or bate bay in the last two summers. I love the place, the clean water , river formations etc. but where are the damn fish ? Plastics, live poddies, yakka fillets and it's just not working. Cheaper alternative per result I think is to haul the boat upto nelson bay or forster once a month for a better return on dollars spent.

Are the trawlers working the area, or just anchored up for the night. I was under the impression they cannot trawl Bate Bay. Suppose their trawling where they cant the fisheries and water police would be on to them. I have seen them anchored up and catching bait fish.

Yes I thinks they are longliners catching livebait. I am also pretty sure that no inshore trawling is allowed between port Hacking and Port Kembla.

If you are fishing in close you will do better achoring up, burleying and fishing

lightly weighted pilchard baits down the trail.

i have had trouble this year in and around the hacking trying to catch a fish on a chrome or a lure. theres usually bonito salmon or tailer chopping up some where in the river. but i have done alright on the kings in the river.

U guys are right. Was out on the water today from 6-4. Was using everything.. Was using live bait yakkas and lures .. Absolute zilch

Got so desperate I got out the spear gear and went for a dive..

Getting pretty depressing

What water temp are you guys seeing?

We went out 10 days ago on the Wednesday evening, we had 24C in the Port, 21C at Jibbon Bombie, and 19c at little Marley.

Managed a Bonito off Little Marley and a Rat king off Jibbon on the way back in.

Other than water temp, conditions looked great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Daily Telegraph newspaper, in the fishing reports for the last few weeks, has reported flatties being caught outside near the Marley water fall. Have not fished there for many months myself, but has anyone else picked up a few recently?

Some of the reports are submitted to the newspaper by bait shops, and I know that at times I have not caught too much, but the reports indicate the fish were jumping into the boat, at places I was also fishing on the same day!

Edited by yowie

Thank god ! I thought it was just me. Have not been able to raise a decent fish from the hacking or bate bay in the last two summers. I love the place, the clean water , river formations etc. but where are the damn fish ? Plastics, live poddies, yakka fillets and it's just not working. Cheaper alternative per result I think is to haul the boat upto nelson bay or forster once a month for a better return on dollars spent.

Nevermind Nelson Bay , just spent a week up there and it was totally dead as well.