Taught by the best- port stephens!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I had a very kind invite from fellow raider gh1952 to go chase beaks over the last 2 days and was told I could bring a mate with me. With great conditions expected it was looking like a great trip.
Arrived at the marina Tuesday at 730 and was greeted by a very friendly chap GH and two of his elder friends cliff and john. With anticipation high we set off and collected some bait fairly quickly and I also learnt very quickly who was in charge! Well, the owner wasn't driving, the captain wasn't captaining, so it could only be the decky cliff at 74yrs young and about 45years game experience behind him and a one time Aust marlin record holder. In actual fact, as the trip went on between these 3 blokes there was over 100 years game experience between them. Now I was really excited and bound to do what I was told.
So with livies on board, we stuck to the plan for day 1 and didn't turn a reel except for a couple of small dollies. Feeling deflated I asked GH if he needed anyone tomorrow and he said sure! So me and mate fronted up at 6, with these spritely old fellas already to go and off we went. Changed tact and headed east. Trolled lures from the 50 and half an hour later bang zzzzzz the sound we love to hear and I'm up!
After a very very spirited fight, this bloke did not want to give in and injured in the battle.[

attachment=82492:post-24974-0-77436800-1394615951_thumb1.jpg]

A nice 70kg plus black!!!

post-24974-0-09544000-1394616111_thumb.jpg

After a few fist pumps and a nice 830am cold beer, there was no time to celebrate as the next line soon loaded up and another 70kg+ black was on. My mate was up and this is pretty much the first fish he's ever caught, he hasn't even caught a flathead and played it well under the experienced crew. Landed and released and a moment in time he'll never forget!

post-256-0-92125600-1394617373.jpg

Then it was GH turn and 30mins later he was on to a similar fish and honestly landed the black in 3mins and let me release it.
We had one more bite that didn't stick but we were all happy with the day anyway. We headed for home and were back moored up by 3pm.
Over the past 2 days fishing and learning, I must say that I know nothing, experience is everything and the old boys still can show us young fellas a thing or two or three etc!
GH- thanks for the experience, is was out simply MAGIC!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

post-256-0-42958600-1394617359.jpg

awesome fish champion bet you learnt a couple of tricks from those boys that have been doing it for so long,and I'm sure you gave them a tip or two,hope theres still some in the freezer come trailer boat tournament,pretty sure you dont even need a boat anymore, lol

It was a pleasure having you both on board for the last two days

Home ward bound this morning with a bit of luck we may get to get a couple more before pittwater.

Hope to see you both next year when we come back for more

It was a pleasure having you both on board for the last two days

Home ward bound this morning with a bit of luck we may get to get a couple more before pittwater.

Hope to see you both next year when we come back for more

Have a safe trip home guys and hope you pick up a few more along the way!

Thanks again,

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s don't let john dehydrate on the way back! :)

Sounds like mania out there! Well done, fantastic report and fish Jeff. Looks like hard yakka out there, definitely a well earned beer.

cheers pete, a lot harder than most people think but the adrenalin keeps you going. so too does a nice cold beer

awesome fish champion bet you learnt a couple of tricks from those boys that have been doing it for so long,and I'm sure you gave them a tip or two,hope theres still some in the freezer come trailer boat tournament,pretty sure you dont even need a boat anymore, lol

thanks diesel. the best thing about these guys was the willingness to share their knowledge. They were calm and direct and you never felt like you were going to lose a fish. And yes, I did show them how good a bibbed lure was at catching bonito.

Wouldn't give my boat up for anything!!!

Nice work mate,good to see you connected to one.

Thanks Noel, it's about time too. Thought I was the banana on my last few trips! lol

We'll done mate

cheers

On ya Jeff what a day to remember. Cant wait to get my first beakie. Had a go last Saturday however to no luck. All the best mate hope to catch up soon.

Regards

Vic

thanks vic. there are plenty of zero days before the magic. just keep at it!! Are you coming up for the trailer boat tourno???

Good on ya fellas, great writeup and obvioulsy a great couple of days was had by all concerned. :D

cheers mate, the trouble with enjoying yourself is that it goes to quick. felt like a couple of hours, not 2 days!!!

Mate not too sure, had a couple of guys pull out which makes it a little harder you know. What is it that you normally target throughout the tournament? Would be a great weekend :-)

It depends on the conditions. At night jewfish. During the day, snapper and kings or if the weathers good we will brush the comp and go chase dollys or beaks! Port stephens has it all :)

Well done, Jeff! Tick that one off your list!! Great that your buddies were able to put you on to them! :D

Roberta

Thanks Roberta. Not my first but definately the most spirited fight I've had. The blokes I went with were gold!

Awesome trip! Great work mate what a pleasure it would have been to go out with 100 years of experience to see! Keep it up.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers witha, your not wrong. Experience is everything with fishing. I always say, the older you get the wiser you become! These blokes were the wisest guys I know!