Wollongong Land Based 2/4/14

DaveTheBoy

Similar start to my last outing with a (very) early stop at the harbour for some squid, picked up 8 in around 40mins or so and headed down to Wollongong again to try some rock action.

post-12244-0-97898400-1396411578_thumb.jpg

3 rats in the first hour kept things moving, and then met up with fellow raider & kingfish gun MV Sunray (Daniel).

The fish today seemed to come in bursts rather than bite solidly - and leather jackets were in plagues destroying our baits. Dan landed a couple fish, then I was smoked by 2 much bigger fish in a row, we got a very good look at the second fish - though it ended up doing me on the ledge.

Saw a few ripples on the surface and grabbed the trusty raider jig, a few casts later accounted for this nice bonito 51cm (thanks Daniel for the landing net assist) which is my first for the summer & biggest land-based in some time, always nice to mix it up.

post-12244-0-49722200-1396411148_thumb.jpg

Dan (and his very excellent extendable landing net) called it a day, and this is where I ran into a pickle. First keeper king for the day 68cm followed almost on cue, followed by another rat. Whilst not huge, landing them unassisted from the rocks is a bit of a task & I'm glad nobody had the camera out to capture my embarrassing style - anyhow fish landed.

post-12244-0-25403200-1396411279_thumb.jpg

With work calling - last cast of the morning was a strip of squid on my smaller 20lb outfit, the final fish 66cm took some real finesse on the lighter gear (20lb leader also) and once again had me in a laughable position to land him - but land him I did.

post-12244-0-61261400-1396411372_thumb.jpg

No furious action & no monsters landed today, but still fairly productive & nice always to fish with a fellow raider!

Good to see a report on Wollongong.

Looks like you were rewarded for the work you put in. :clapping:

Some really good fish there.

Sounds like you caught the squid in Sydney then drove to Wollongong? :1clap:

I've heard a story from a boatie about a bloke bashing up the kings off the breakwalls,

Sneaky feeling this might have been you?

Sounds like you might need a good net or gaff,Who cares about style if you land them,its then called skill.

Regards

Deano :thumbup:

Good to see a report on Wollongong.

Looks like you were rewarded for the work you put in. :clapping:

Some really good fish there.

Sounds like you caught the squid in Sydney then drove to Wollongong? :1clap:

I've heard a story from a boatie about a bloke bashing up the kings off the breakwalls,

Sneaky feeling this might have been you?

Sounds like you might need a good net or gaff,Who cares about style if you land them,its then called skill.

Regards

Deano :thumbup:

Cheers Deano - yes got my squid in the harbour as I know it better & therefore don't usually waste too much time getting bait. A long handled net will be my next investment!