The weirdest technique you have tried...?

SquidMarks

I was reading Nas' report of catching quid on chicken and it had me thing, a running post on the weirdest technique you have tried when fishing would be good!

So having said that, what is the weirdest technique you have tried? If its something you did when all else failed and you thought the fishing couldn't get any worse, or if its something a mate of a mate of a mate swore he caught a 10kg flattie doing (or on)! :chair:

The best one i have is:

Ii have an old fishing almanac (from the 70's) which says to use a carved up spud (to resemble a sausage) on a squid spike, i did try it and didn't get a thing! having said that, i didn't catch anything with the jig that night either so maybe they didn't feel like eating? Even if it was chips!

:horse:

In the Solomon Islands I used coconut meat as bait for garfish.

Not the kind we think of, it had to come from a spouted coconut .( The the sprout about 60 cm high.)

All the water disappears within and the meat sort of expands filling the nut after germination

It had the consistency of a dry sponge, it floated and the gars loved it.

When in Rome.....

Weirdest thing would probably be catching a salmon on a squid jig! while squidding one day, there was a massive bust up in front of me. Cast the squid jig in amongst them and foul hooked one. Took it really easy and some how the barbs didn't straighten.

that reminds me, you caught a salmon on a squid jig... i caught a FAIRY PENGUIN! on a squid jig, beat that! :)

Wow, any pics? That is simply amazing, I hope the fairy penguin was okay but this is a mind boggling capture, congrats haha.

Forgot bread once to catch bait. Cut a bit of my white shirt and snelled it to a small hook. Worked a treat and the yakkas loved it. Caught 10 in about 15mins. Sometimes you just need to improvise!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Forgot bread once to catch bait. Cut a bit of my white shirt and snelled it to a small hook. Worked a treat and the yakkas loved it. Caught 10 in about 15mins. Sometimes you just need to improvise!

Cheers scratchie!!!

That reminds me, i was at a wharf eating lunch when i saw a school of 30cm bream cursing around. Found a piece of line and a hook and put a few veggies from my burger on the hook. Pretty sure it was onion, lettuce and tomatoe. Any dropped it down and caught one instantly !

I've caught a legal bream in the georges river on a piece of plastic straw. I was desperate to fish and had no bait or lures, just a rod a sinker and a hook and a drinking straw. As I was reeling in I got a hit and pulled up a 25cm bream :)

Edited by Nas

I was in Thailand recently and I went on one of the Island tour boats that take you to all the famous Island.
We pulled up for some snorkeling and the boat operators got out some bananas - broke them into tiny pieces, baited some hand lines and were pulling in what looked like 35cm+ trevs.

The bananas were to fed Monkeys at one of the Islands but I couldn't believe how mental the fish were going for banana ?

I thought fish hated Banana!?

I use bits of plastic and wood to catch jew...

I'm sure there are plenty of "weird" techniques that are very successfull, just not as widely accepted as proven ( and often expensive) lures. It just takes some clever bugger to think outside the box.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Lol scratchie....lucky was your shirt not your undies.....hahaha

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Spent time working in Bougainville in 1969-70, the local villagers (Loloho) used to go out every afternoon when schools of fish would come through the bay outside their village. (regular as clockwork) They would flog the water with a variety of lures on a short line fixed to a bamboo pole. The lures varied from pieces of white or red cloth to pieces of bamboo that had the end shredded lengthways to look like a lure skirt. I think that this was known as a "Ned Kelly Rig" in Australia

They never missed getting a feed.

Cheers

Paikea

My grandfather told me that when the chinaman jackets were in big numbers (more so than today's numbers) if he hooked one, the rest of the school would swim to the surface. He would then splash a large piece of bait onto the surface, the jackets would swim up to have a go and he would grab them one after another out of the water. Just had to be quick so he didn't get bitten on the fingers.

This post is so interesting.

A while back in Tassie when I learnt to fish I was catching mullet, ran out of bait and until dad went to the servo and back I used my chewing gum to catch two mullets.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by aeb870

Great post. Some interesting stories here.

When I was a little tacker my father, my brothers and I used to fish from the old stone wharf at Ulladulla inside the harbour.

The tailor would come in regular as clockwork just after dawn and my father and older brother would out fish me every time simply because

they could cast the unweighted baits further and reach the main part of the school.

I soon learned that if I let the seagulls pick the bait up in close and fly away with it I could yank it back out of their mouths when they flew out back over the school.

Using this method I could "cast" to the school even when it was out of their casting range.

Eventually they sussed out what I was doing but for a time I was king of the catch!

Cheers

Jim

My grandfather told me that when the chinaman jackets were in big numbers (more so than today's numbers) if he hooked one, the rest of the school would swim to the surface. He would then splash a large piece of bait onto the surface, the jackets would swim up to have a go and he would grab them one after another out of the water. Just had to be quick so he didn't get bitten on the fingers.

I reckon that if a jacket got hold of a finger tip you would no longer have the tip of that finger. The tiny jaws on those things are scary.

Luc.