Advise needed: Advancing the heavier gear.

dale91

Hey fishos,

At the moment I have a sienna 2500 paired with a catana which I use for SP, squidding etc. I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade to some heavier gear, my goal is to get some kingies and some larger fish then I've been getting in the hacking from the land, a kayak and hopefully eventually a boat.

My issue is, I've never caught any decent fish and have little experience and knowledge when it comes to this.

I've had a chat to a few people and have been recommended to get a thunnus 8000 with 50 pound braid.

What do you guys recommend? I know it all depends on what I'm will to spend and I'm not to sure, I don't wanna break the bank but I know there is no point getting something that won't be good enough, and upgrading sooner then later?

Thanks guys, any advise will be appreciated.

I just purchased a shimano spheros 8000 with ocea tcurve spin stick with 60lb power pro. Cost was around $600 all up! Good king and tuna rod. Able to troll, jig, live bait and throw poppers or stick baits. It should hold pretty much any big fish that hits it. Can't wait to use it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Scratchie mate, sounds awesome.

Is that set up to heavy to just chuck in around the hacking from the land?

Hope you have some good luck with it mate!

Probably is to heavy. My purpose for this setup is to chase kings from a boat. There's not many places land based that a rod that size would be useful for. I'm not that familiar with the hacking, sorry. Maybe some other raiders could help out!

The reel is all good and dandy for shore fishing for the larger species, really just comes down to your rod.

How large are the Kingies? How big is your bait/lure?

My KingFish setup for rock fishing is a 6000 reel paired with a 4-8kg spin rod as i fish for kicks and laughs not to take home. You could go for a sturdier rod but then you become stuck with what style of fishing you do. When i do target kings off the rocks i just do the live bait under a balloon and throw it out by hand or dead bait under a float with a float which i can then cast. If the Kings ain't a biting i can switch it up to spin for the other pelagics or toss a squid jig around (bit of an overkill for the squidding though).

That being said the 6000 reel has not been touched of late and the 2500 and 4000 (stradic) with a 2-5kg rod is my usual weapon of choice for all the fishing i do.

24kg is a very heavy rod- nitro calls their 24 kg rod the "tuna winch". There's no need for so much power, except if sharks are an issue. This tackle is probably difficult to cast with too- important for land based. Something lighter 4-8 or 6-10 kg is probably better, and length around 7-10 foot (depending on portability needs, casting distance needed etc) would be best for casting distance, and gives you flexibility to use lures such as metals too using a heavy leader will stop break offs

Edited by nickb111

I have a Stella 10000 and 50lb T-CURVE loaded with 50lb braid and it casts really big poppers a mile and will stop just about anything

Do you have a Stella stewy??? You rich bugger, can I borrow it??? Lol..... That would stop a great white!!!

So much help guys and just standard good fishing chat.

Im thinking more and more that something between 5000 and 6500 is the go and I have a shimano sienna and love it and their customer service so maybe the sustain is the way to go.

Cheers guys!! Really appreciate it !

I recently did the hunting around for a heavier surf rig. In the end I went for a Fin Nor Lethal 60. The other options I looked at were the Pflueger Salt and Spinfisher SSM and SSV. The SSV was nice but too pricey, the SSM seemed fine but just a little less refined than the others. The salt seemed a good solid reel and I was set for that but couldn't go past the Lethal being on special.

All these were in the sub $200 range. From memory I got the Lethal for about $100. It's held up well so far by yet for a big test, only a 4ft wobbegong so far.

Just some alternatives to consider if you are looking for a cheaper setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't it cast lures? I'm pretty new to all this, especially heavy gear.

Will it limit me to only big stuff like smallish kings or will It give me opportunity to get a wide variety of fish if I'm fishing from land?