MY FIRST JEWIE! And on SP! In Rozelle bay!

Witha

Well. Don't quite know where to start Raiders. This was going to be a report about my fishless adventures of the last few weeks, only bringing in a couple of flatties while spending many an hour throwing plastics around till you're double ripping in your sleep hoping for the illusive Ghost.

BUT I GOT ONE!!!!

It was GOING to be a post about teleportation and trying to help me understand how one minute i'm at home frantically studying for my last uni exams and then BAM. Somehow I'm standing on the river bank rod in hand....(one of those mysteries that will go down in history unsolved) but now I can contribute to the Jewie knowledge base! Somewhat...

After another brain snap from too much study i headed down to my old faithful local haunt at Rozelle bay. It was dark and the tide had just started the runout so I began throwing SPs and blades around on my light outfit, but got fed up with the dark braid not showing up and not being able to feel the light weights hit the bottom. So i trudged back to the car and pulled out my trusty 2500 sienna/3-5kg stick combo. 10lb braid 12lb leader that i've been using targeting these illusive buggers. Was hoping for flatties as there's a neat little sand bank that holds a few. First cast, bang flatty on, on a big squidgy fish in silver fox. He mashed that lure, so i stuck on my closest imitation, a Zman 4" paddle tail in a grey/mullet/slightly sparkly colour. Second cast, bang flatty. Kept flicking for a while with no more interest

Then the fun started: Saw a baitfish bust up just down the rock wall and chucked my plastic, it was either on the drop or on the drop after the first double rip that I came up tight, typical little TICK in the line that a flatty gives when they wolf it down. Thinking I had a nice flatty by the weight I started reeling in keeping the tension up. Then it started pulling back! And boy did it want to head for New Zealand. Drag was screaming and luckily I had just regreased it so it was nice and smooth. It had me running down the rockwall in the dark, there isn't any structure around really that it could brick me on so I kept cool and didn't tighten up the drag just played it out, eventually (and it felt like an eternity and a split second) I had regained most of the line it had run off with. Never actually occurred to me that I had a Jewie on! Was thinking a red or some pelagic like a salmon or something. Then I saw Silver! Frantically jumped (read pretty much fell) down the rock wall to try and get my grips in (didn't bring the net. What an idiot) and comfort lifted her up the rock wall! SUCCESS!! By this stage a had about 6 people watching me and one of them kindly took a photo for me! No measurement but don't think it would be far off legal. She was a solid fish! Scrambled back down the rock wall to start reviving her to release, one lady of my audience remained and gave me grief that 'its already dead you've killed it, it would be flapping around otherwise' and I had to explain as I swam the fish that it was tired and just needed some water. SUCCESSFULLY swam the fish thankyou very much. It was in good shape too, kicking from the first few flushes of the gills and paddled happily off to the depths. Great to see her swim off after giving me such a good run!

post-30534-0-73876000-1402489350_thumb.jpg

Still got that grin on my face! And I can now say I know what people mean by the distinctive smell! Still on my hands and clothes...kinda like it, Smells like Victory.

Also a HUGE thanks to all the raiders who share their knowledge, and those who have given me the 'stick at it' encouragement. Happy to answer any questions, hopefully this will be the first of many :) now to figure out all the conditions and timing and what I did right!

CHEERS!

Witha

Few more pics of flatties etc

post-30534-0-82515400-1402489618_thumb.jpgpost-30534-0-49567700-1402489647_thumb.jpgpost-30534-0-06595000-1402489670_thumb.jpgpost-30534-0-94337600-1402489697_thumb.jpgpost-30534-0-22357200-1402489737_thumb.jpg

Great work mate you've finally done it to get one land based on a lure in a couple of hours is really good looks like will be targeting these fish for a long time to come i really want to start targeting them VERY soon with all the reports of people landing them I've got to give it a try

Also looks like you got a few nice flattys

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Congratulations

Well earned success.

I bet you still got the shakes and the high.

Don't over think it

Just do what you do and catch those Jew

I think it's great you really deserve it

Great work mate you've finally done it to get one land based on a lure in a couple of hours is really good looks like will be targeting these fish for a long time to come i really want to start targeting them VERY soon with all the reports of people landing them I've got to give it a try

Also looks like you got a few nice flattys

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Thanks Syd :) yeah get into it mate so rewarding! even the crap sessions sometimes come home with flatties. it's a big monkey off my back. You're a mad keen fisho I'm sure you'll get one!

Fantastic work and report. Well done, it's not easy, especially getting one off the land and now you've ticked off that box. Enjoy the moment, the first one gives the best feeling and you'll be on a high for a week.

Thanks Pete! and cheers for all your help you've put up on here mate :) also on a side note kingfisher was saying you guys are using majorcraft crosstage for rods? Looking to upgrade if you've got rod ideas :) definitely still riding the high! now to get one from the yak!

Congratulations

Well earned success.

I bet you still got the shakes and the high.

Don't over think it

Just do what you do and catch those Jew

I think it's great you really deserve it

Thanks Ryder! yeah still jittery and beaming! love it when a plan comes together!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks Pete! and cheers for all your help you've put up on here mate :) also on a side note kingfisher was saying you guys are using majorcraft crosstage for rods? Looking to upgrade if you've got rod ideas :) definitely still riding the high! now to get one from the yak!

I wouldn't want to hijack this thread and your moment of glory with tackle discussion haha, I'll send you a PM.

I wouldn't want to hijack this thread and your moment of glory with tackle discussion haha, I'll send you a PM.

Haha you're a true gentleman.

Good stuff - report is a great read

Cheers mate :) glad you liked the spiel!

Another Jew to add to the raider ranks... You'll never forget that first one and you'll go back to that spot time and time again hoping that it's mother or father are hanging around somewhere close by to teach you a lesson! Great fish and great report mate well done!

Reubs

Another Jew to add to the raider ranks... You'll never forget that first one and you'll go back to that spot time and time again hoping that it's mother or father are hanging around somewhere close by to teach you a lesson! Great fish and great report mate well done!

Reubs

Haha I think you're right mate! too bad i am pretty much certain they were just a feeding school moving through, wasn't a deep hole or any structure. doesn't mean I won't be back though!

Great catch mate

That's a great size for a first, I really want to go chase some jewwys this weekend and get a good one like u

That's a great achievement mate

Well done

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You and Syd are bound to get one soon mate! from what I've heard there are a few around the drumoyne area where you guys launch :)

Good work on your first jewie.

I remember catching my first one in the late 1960's - it had as much fight as a piece of seaweed.

Cheers yowie! Glad she put up a big fight. Some very spirited seaweed :P

Great stuff witha!!! I can feel the excitement up here. Always good to get your target species!

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers scratchie! love it when a plan comes together, scoring a target never gets old!

nice one indeed !

Thanks mate!

Epic report Great catch

Cheers ladder :)

Awesome!!!!!

Cheers stewie, now to crack those wiley cooks jews

Awesome work, you deserve it for sure, sounds like you've been hunting for a long time!

Thanks man, not as long as some but forced myself to only focus on one target for a lot of fish less sessions so feels great

I might try tomorrow afternoon into the night and try and get myself one

Cheers

I'm gonna try my best to get out there on sat of Sunday around my place strictly for jewfish hopefully I get the tide change

Wish me luck

Hopefully I can get something to report about

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep flicking :) over and over haha. and put up a video about it! Loved your aussie salmon vid looked like a cracking day

Just keep flicking :) over and over haha. and put up a video about it! Loved your aussie salmon vid looked like a cracking day

Yeh will do

But I don't have a go pro so syd fisher will have to do it by himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic work man! Know you'd been wanting a jewie for a while so it's great to see your persistence pay off. Great to have a fish like that right on your doorstep too. :D

Haha true that! good old rozelle bay! might cya down there ay? :P