Waratah Bay 03/07

Leathery1

Hi Raiders,

Took my son for a try at hairtail last night in Waratah Bay. There was plenty of yellow tail in the bay and earlier in the day saw a large school of what looked like pilchards. Unfortunately the hairtail failed to showup. There were only three other boats in the bay one of which decided he needed to anchor 5 metres from me :thumbdown:. He then quickly hooked my anchor rope :ranting2: , rather than spoil a good day by telling him what I thought of him we retrieved our anchor unhooked his gang hooks from the rope and moved well away.

I was told the chance of catching any hairtail last night was low as the tide wasn't right. It was low tide at sunset with high tide being the best. Has anyone else has any luck on the hairtail recently. I have heard reports of some small fish being caught.

Mate, I've been to Waratah, Jerusalem and even near cottage point lately looking for hairtail. Nothing, only yakkas and snapper. Hope they get a little hungrier soon!

Best of luck,

Tag

Hey mate, spent the entire last weekend on a houseboat in Waratah looking for the hairtail with the same result. Plenty of yakka's in the bay along with what looked like pilchards busting up all over the place but not a single hairtail was caught from what i saw. Put in some solid hours from 2pm through till 6am the next morning. Nothing. :mad3:

Hoping they show up sometime shortly.

Hi,

We have been down there 3 or 4 times and caught at least one each time. We fished the north bank in around 20m each time and found that pilly with just the head removed and a green starlight a couple of inches above it did the damage - no weight fished at around half depth.

Hope you get into them next time

Dave