Time Management/Fishing Frequencies

dylrox

Hi Guys,

On topic but also off topic. I just wanted to see what others are doing in terms of time management, how much they are fishing, how often or how they are including their family in fishing. I work full time and have 3 kids under 5 (2yr,4yr, and 5 weeks) I love fishing and really dont get much time to get out and do it alot (or as much I would like) without obviously neglecting my family, I have responsibilities and gotta find the balance.

I would like to fish once a week but its looking more like once a month at the moment. Are you guys taking advantage of nigh times and fishing after dark when little ones in bed? Are you taking the older ones away for over night fishing/camping/relaxing trips? Do you fish early mornings before work? Are you taking days of annual leave just to get a day of fishing in?

Much appreciated.

G'day Dylrox,

in a similar situation myself with 2 little ones about to turn 8 and 5 respectively.

I usually fish once a week at a productive spot late at night (starting from 7pm and going through till 2-3am if favourable) for my own personal fishing session.

If the little fella (5 yr old) wants to go for a fish through the week i.e. a school day i take him down to a wharf which is only about a 5 minute drive away just on sunset so that boat and foot traffic is minimal and so that if he loses interest its no biggy fuel and time wise.

If the whole family wants to go for a fish it is fairly infrequent perhaps once or twice a month from shore and the way the weather has been when we have had time and no commitments about every 3 months on the boat.

In all seriousness going without a few hours sleep one night a week is quite achievable and maintainable, failing that if the morning looks better just sneak off at 3am and be home by the time the little ones are having brekky.

Cheers

Andy

I'm a lucky lucky man... I have my first baby on the way and due in 2 months. I have a very understanding wife who knows I need my fishing time to relax as my job is pretty high tension... So I moved into a house where this is my back garden post-30931-14144598914121_thumb.jpg

I have my boat in my garage and the ramps quite close too. I'm also lucky to finish work at 4:30 so home by 5ish, I get an hour to have a flick before dinner to relax.

I think my weekend time will change but I think she'll still let me go out as she knows how much I need fishing in my life.

I have no missus and no kids, I work as a subcontractor shopfitter, I pretty much fish whenever I feel like. I fish most nights after I get home from work, sometimes I stay out all night, have a few hours of sleep in the car and then head back to work. I only do all nighters though if work is say in sydney, when im at the georges (bridges) there is no point in me driving home to campbelltown for less sleep and longer drives so I just sleep in the car. You may think I am crazy, but chasing jews takes dedication

Hi Guys,

On topic but also off topic. I just wanted to see what others are doing in terms of time management, how much they are fishing, how often or how they are including their family in fishing. I work full time and have 3 kids under 5 (2yr,4yr, and 5 weeks) I love fishing and really dont get much time to get out and do it alot (or as much I would like) without obviously neglecting my family, I have responsibilities and gotta find the balance.

I would like to fish once a week but its looking more like once a month at the moment. Are you guys taking advantage of nigh times and fishing after dark when little ones in bed? Are you taking the older ones away for over night fishing/camping/relaxing trips? Do you fish early mornings before work? Are you taking days of annual leave just to get a day of fishing in?

Much appreciated.

Hey buddy,

3 kids wow, thats a big task! I have 2 young ones, 2 and 6. The best times to fish is early morning. I usually leave the house at like 2am, collect livies before sunrise and fish the dawn time and head home once the sun has passed the horizon, so I'll be home by 9am when the kiddies all wake up. Just need 1 can of energy drink to keep you awake on the drive home.

I generally do this on sickies from work, so during the week, but having said that, the weekends are fine to do this as during those hours you'll generally have the boat ramp to yourself.

Hope this helps.

I have 2 kids , A big boat, I love my fishing due to work that I am in its hard to get a fish in the last time I went out on my boat was 14 months ago yes you read correctly 14 months , We have a comp in 2 weeks between sections at work so I am keen to get out again, And YES I will win the comp. The guys at work give me heaps about not taking the boat out and they put my suburb in a phrase and say for example Minto display boats, Its funny when they say it I have to admit. So I will hopefully put a report in about 2 weeks, And lay of the 14 months thing guys no hassle of you guys either . But I think I will be harassed.

Edited by chocolate

Don't worry mate I haven't been out since the end of january.

Im from Campbelltown and own the shiniest bare alloy quinny in the district.lol.

They say when you do the same thing to often you get sick of it, I don't think we need to worry about that.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I have 4 kids and I occasionally don't fish! This is when I'm either sleeping or in the middle of dinner! Sorry, I sometimes fish in my sleep!

I guess it's like with anything in life! If you don't have time, make time! YOLO!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers guys. I will probably take one piece of advice from a poster up above and try and pick one night a week/fortnight that I go for serious fish on my own, 7pm - 2am. For example, taking my 4 and 2 year old to the sand flats at the lake on the weekend. Muck around for a few hours, if we catch a fish it's a bonus but more for them to get out.

I think I just wanted to see what others were doing with young families who are also addicted to fishing like me. It really helped. Thanks again.

Cheers guys. I will probably take one piece of advice from a poster up above and try and pick one night a week/fortnight that I go for serious fish on my own, 7pm - 2am. For example, taking my 4 and 2 year old to the sand flats at the lake on the weekend. Muck around for a few hours, if we catch a fish it's a bonus but more for them to get out.

I think I just wanted to see what others were doing with young families who are also addicted to fishing like me. It really helped. Thanks again.

dylrox, fishraider plays a big part in feeding fishing addictions.

Our life journeys sometimes put things on hold a little and fishraider is always here to help :)

You can read the fishing experiences and look at all the pictures and videos and wish you were out there. Get the family involved and enjoy :)