Where is the closest reef to Sydney Heads

cameldownunder

Hi All

After 5 years of fishing the harbour, and getting the boat out past the heads several times, i think I have enough confidence and know how to move to the next step. I will shortly install an VHF Radio and aquire an Epirb, and other needed equipment to go past the 2 mile zone.

Since it would be the first time, my question is where is the closest reef to the sydney heads where I could go on my first mission.

not much response there mate.

to get this info for you I would have to get in boat & connect gps unit up, so it wont be strait away but I can do it for you.

how far do you want to travel from the heads?

I will PM you with some co ordinates to get you started.

(look at that all the time with no reply then Locodave posts while I am typing) :)

not much response there mate.

to get this info for you I would have to get in boat & connect gps unit up, so it wont be strait away but I can do it for you.

how far do you want to travel from the heads?

I will PM you with some co ordinates to get you started.

(look at that all the time with no reply then Locodave posts while I am typing) :)

It does happen sometimes, however most people are forthcoming with info. Not only that, it's probably in the wrong section. I will move now with a link!

Cameldownunder, great to see you build your boating confidence. If its GPS marks you are after try this link. Good luck champ and look forward to read to your report........

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=70826#entry506882

Cheers scratchie!!!

Ok Cameldownunder I would go with Scratchie's suggestion and check out the list on here, Ive just had a look and "the colours" is on there. I always thought Colours was a ship wreck. According to this link http://nswwrecks.info/Shipwreck%20Database.html royal shepard is the closest I could find to its location.

The artificial reef is also out there detail for it is on this link, http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/artificial-reefs/sydney-offshore-artifical-reef

Brett

Thanks for explaining guys, i was actually rushing out so thought i would just name the reef. I dont know the actual co ordinates but im sure it is on this site. But a google search will also help you out.

I started on the those reefs too. So the first is colours in sydney. Not far from the heads at all. If you go to broken bay i always try west reef.

I havent had awesome success in any yet, but you never leave empty handed along west reef.

West reef is about 2km out i think from barrenjoey.

How bigs your boat? We don't want to send you miles out to sea in a 3m tinny!!

Good point. Quintrex 475 Bowrider. 5 meter boat. 60Hp. I would NOT go past grotto point with a 3m tinny :-)

Thanks alot for the info. First mission: The colours. As soon as Epirb and radio are ready. Let me check out RoadRunner now.

You don't need an epirb to go to the colours, it's a pretty average wreck anyway, all along the broken ground along north head/bluefish is good, mugs reef is a huge place to explore it's all broken ground, you should have no problems what so ever in a 4.75 heading out there. You'll be able to make the long reef run with ease in that thing.

The peak and 12 mile aren't out if the question I know a few blokes who regularly fish 12 mile in a 4.2 and I myself will soon be joining them. Check the weather and keep your head up and check the sky etc regularly you won't have an issue.

I wouldn't recommend 12 mile reef thats a long way in a small boat if theres a change in weather, I did one trip to the peak in my 475 when I had it but really didnt enjoy it but it was not the best of weather.

What you are doing Cameldownunder is the right thing to do just take a little at a time if you have maps on your gps use them to help you find spots looking for high spots & low spots usually both will hold fish.

as for going out a distance I usualy go out to try my luck then come back in close to get a feed.

Brett

Edited by oz_brett

• 2 weeks later...

That artificial reef (colours) is close there is a good reef closer to the gap that held kings last year and old mans hat. If you want to venture further you could try long reef

Cheers sydneyfisher12

2 different spots but very close to each other, probably your best first option, in a strong wind you'll have trouble getting out there in you boat though so always proceed with caution and turn around if it doesn't feel safe