Went for a trip over the weekend to the private fads off from Sydney harbour. I have been avoiding the public fads because of the divers that are usually there and the high number of boaters that congregate around them.

we caught livies around middle head, which have also been super small, but I don’t mind this.

We caught around 25 between the three of us.

Only issue was that majority of the dollies around right now seem to be quite small, most being 60-65 cm compared to February where we were averaging 75-90 cm fish. At least they fit into the esky easily… the hot bite died off around 8:30 AM but we switched private fads and kept on catching till about 12 pm. They were not taking dead baits after 9 AM but were still taking trolled lures, poppers. Water temp was 27.3 degrees, the warmest I have ever seen it..

there were hundreds of them everywhere. Even when we drifted far away from the fads we still found massive schools that seemed to follow the boat. Really interesting how many there are when you’re out wide.

Came back to check the pots and had some blue swimmers waiting for us.

I have uploaded a vid feel free to watch it 

https://youtube.com/@99FishingWorld

64D1A972-DCEE-4C8A-9BAF-18D032446BBC.jpeg

A11512B6-37DC-41B6-969C-B1AF2A0EE625.jpeg

Edited by Tarik
  • Like 14

Excellent result @Tarik ... you did way better than we did at SydN FAD on Monday...  interesting re the water temp ... we could not find any water warmer than 22.8C on Monday ... go figure.

Cheers Zoran

On 3/14/2024 at 5:27 PM, big Neil said:

Looks like your day went to plan Tarik, plenty of Dollies and some large Blue Swimmers too. I had a look at your short videos too. What camera do you use?

Cheers, bn

Thanks mate, I use a Go Pro Hero 11, and render my videos in 4K 120 Fps. I also have a drone but did not use it on that day. Sometimes landing those things can be a nightmare out there.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:18 PM, Larkin said:

Nice one Tarik, looks like you guys had a great day out on the water.

Yep, plenty of smaller Dollie’s this time of the year. 

Yes I hope they get bigger. Last year in April they were much bigger at just the Sydney Fads..

22 hours ago, The Rev said:

Well done Tarik  - what day were you out?  Great to hear about the abundance of the Dollies!

Saturday the 9th!

18 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Excellent result @Tarik ... you did way better than we did at SydN FAD on Monday...  interesting re the water temp ... we could not find any water warmer than 22.8C on Monday ... go figure.

Cheers Zoran

Sure would be worth going out wide i'm sure you'll find bigger schools from the 24-28C range