For gods sake wear a life jacket!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Just now this afternoon, instead of sitting on the beach with my kids, I had to come to the aid of 3 kayakers that were way out of their depth and knowledge. With the wind strong and the swell up, I noticed these yakkers leave the beach and head towards the ocean, in no time at all 2 had capsized and the 3rd was trying to help both. I watched for about 5 mins and could no longer see the one that was in the blue yak. The red one was getting sucked out towards a bommie. I was at least 10mins walk away along the rocks but had a feeling I had to help. So off I set and told the mrs if I signal her to call police rescue. I arrived to two young ladies almost pounded onto the stones. One managed to get up and I helped the other. I noticed neither had a life jacket and I asked if they were ok. That both replied "exhausted but ok". One was shaken up and went straight to the car and her friend told me she couldn't swim! OMG, are you kidding. My attention now turned to the third, he managed to make it half way back but was completely exhausted. I stayed within swimming distance until he was at the safety of the shore!

post-24974-0-64838300-1416205801_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure they have learnt their lesson but to be honest, the difference between trial and tragedy is a very fine line. I dare say they probably would have made it even if I wasn't there but this incident just left me shaking my head!

Know your limits!

Take into account the conditions!

And wear a freaking LIFE JACKET when traveling over 100m off the shoreline, it's the LAW!

Rant over.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well done mate and its no rant to drive the point home when ever you can.

I know how you feel after being the only one around in a rescuer position on far too many occasions myself.

Even if you don't have to leap in after the dopey buggers it is mentally exhausting watching it unfold.

Following such events I usually find a couple of beers ( or something stronger) is in order.

Cheers

Jim

Sometimes you just cant help or reason with stupid people Scratchie. Lucky for these stupid people, you were there. No doubt if you weren't, we would have been hearing about them on the news tonight. Your a top bloke for assisting.

In Victoria you must have a life jacket at all times in a yak, no matter how far from shore you are, you can very quickly get blown or washed from 50M out to 150M out, I reckon the blanket rule is a smart one.

TBH, this is now the 3rd time I've seen stupidity like this around my area in the last month. I watched I guy almost get swept from the rocks from my balcony and a tourist on paddle board in a rip! None were wearing life jackets.

Might have to close my eyes, my blinds or just move west, I think!

In the photo if you look right you can see the guy on the red yak and on the left you can see the abandoned capsized blue yak.

Well done mate, people (particularly tourists and those from other countries) have some weird ideas about how dangerous water can be.

Had to help rescue a guy from the surf at Birubi before it was a patrolled beach, moderate surf but he was in a rip and just bouncing up and down, i got to him and kept him up until a surfer came and took him in, after he regained his composure he said he COULDN'T SWIM and had just gone in to refresh himself before the current had taken him, very lucky.

Further to this theme a mate of mine works on tourist boats on the barrier reef and he said it is now mandatory for foreign passengers to wear life jackets when in the water as due their cultures need to save face they will say they can swim which led to too many close calls.

The worst part about these situations is not the fact that there was potentially another darwin award given out but the fact that some one who is doing the right thing then has to risk their life to render asistance.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

I was never in danger! I'm very familiar with the area and would not get into a situation over my head. I'm still angry it wrecked my afternoon though! :(

Don't be too upset. You helped someone in need :). Maybe the powers that be will send you a couple extra fish for dinner ;).

I almost drowned in the wave pool at the gold coast whilst on holiday in 2001.

The mrs and I were treading water waiting for a tube in the packed pool when all of a sudden as I turned around I coped a wave in the face that went up my nose and in my mouth as I breathed in.

I lost all my strength immediately and was bobbing up and down and all I could think of was to raise my hand for help or to call out to the mrs as I came up to no avail.

I remember looking around and seeing the life gaurds a few feet away patrolling the border of the pool, kids on tubes running over me and the mrs no more than 6 feet away.

I remember going down unable to breath thinking this is it when suddenly out of nowhere I managed to move my arms and get to the surface.

As I broke the surface, the first thing I see is the mrs smiling at me then her face quickly change to panic when she realised I was in trouble.

She swam over, dragged me over to the pool ledge and hauled me out of the pool.

After we sat for a while whilst I coughed and spluttered with my whole body aching I slowly began to recover.

My chest was sore for the rest of the day and couldn't go swimming.

I will always owe my life to my wife for saving my life that day as I have no doubts that a little while longer in that pool for me would off been lights out.

I've always been an above average swimmer and my wife is an Austswim swimming instructor and swims very well.

Sorry for a long post, but it goes to show just how quick things can happen when your surrounded by people/lifeguards in calm waters let alone out there in the ocean.

Well done for helping those people mate as I certainly am glad my wife helped me as it's certainly something i'll never forget or want to repeat.

Fabian.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Sad story fab. The difference is you found yourself in a dire situation, not put yourself in one!

Sometimes, by freak of nature, shit happens! These morons put themselves at risk. Put it this way, if I'm not fishing off the stones, do dare go kayaking!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good one scratchie, luckily you where there. I know your angry but try not to be. You have done a good thing. Remember you have the knowledge they didnt. About 17 years ago when I wasn't into fishing I knew nothing about the sea, swell, tides, and rips. I went to a place with friends and we went out waist hight for a swim. Next thing it starts to get chest high, we start to head back and it was only getting deeper neck high, soon one of my friend is drowning he can't swim, so I swim over to help him and he puts me under the water climbing over me. Luckily my other mate comes over and grabs us both, I recover and some how get back. My over mate takes the one that can't swim back. We didn't know we were caught in a rip and proberly the swell was coming up, I don't know. But since I started fishing I learnt what is swell, tides, wind etc, these people proberly didn't know s*^t about the waters. I know it's hard to understand they couldn't tell the condition which was so evident but people sometimes just don't know. It's education and maybe they'll start to understand or learn the waters, who knows , let hope they do and then educate there friends and family.

Another time we were at Windang having a picnic and someone died rock fishing, the swell was up the wind was about 20-30 knots, you would be crazy to fish these conditions but someone did and lost his life. Because he didn't understand the waters. Even if it's in your face. Now if I see people heading into dangerous conditions or anything I don't shake my head I try the educate them. It's like learning to drive, learners see a hazard ahead but do they responded, no they head straight for it and then I've gotta brake. A red light and they ask do they need to stop even though its red and if they where the passager they would know they have to stop. But once in the driver side it totally different for them. With waters unless someone educates someone about the dangers they either learn through someone or something happens bad happens and then they might learn. These people if they continue kayaking and learn, one day will look back and say how the f*^k they went out with conditions like that, and will think of you for saving there life. Once again good on ya for helping them.

Edited by General Zod

I am sad to say that a kayaker got flipped and died today. He had a 5 year old with him that he managed to get to safety. Neither was wearing a life jacket.

For me that stresses the point. Water = jacket.

Edited by Rami