Is Carbon Suitable for Bait

rookiemistake

Hey just bought a carbon fibre rod and I don't fish all that much but love it, and because Im a teen I cant afford to many rods, and so was just wondering if a carbon fibre rod is suitable for bait fishing. If it is what kind of bait fishing is suitable.

I would really appreciate some advice :)

Of course you can use a Carbon fibre rod for bait, they generally market them towards soft plastics etc only because they are so light and you can hold them all day, but nothing to stop you using them for bait, as Blood Knot suggested, it's more up to the size, action and line rating of the rod than the material.

Carbon Fiber? Of course its suitable. Although as your post suggests - You do not fish all that much & you may have financial restraints and being that carbonfiber rods are very expensive. My suggestion would be to go to your local tackle store even one of the big chain stores Big W or Kmart and purchase a <100 combo and learn to fish the various techniques that you want/choose - Then you can make a more educated decision on what type and specifications of rod you may actually like/require as an upgrade based on your needs :)

Edited by Qnut

Thanks guys :) It's a 7 foot rod, I think the line rating is like 4-6 kg and just wanna catch things like flathead and other estuary fish. But would a carbon rod be fine for lets say baiting for snapper or a surf rod? Also when Qnut said <100 does that mean less or than $100?

Thanks for the advise :)

I think that is what qnut was referring to, less than $100. If your on a budget, bcf does some great little combos, little a sienna 2500 plus rod 2-4kg for $59. Or same price a heavier rod 5-8kg and 4000 reel. Good entry level rod depending on what your targeting!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks guys :) It's a 7 foot rod, I think the line rating is like 4-6 kg and just wanna catch things like flathead and other estuary fish. But would a carbon rod be fine for lets say baiting for snapper or a surf rod? Also when Qnut said <100 does that mean less or than $100?

Thanks for the advise :)

You have made a good choice, thats a good size rod to start off with - you should be able to flick a few soft plastics or lures around for flathead, salmon, tailor, bream etc and would have no problems using as a bait rod for the same species. Might be a little shortish for use off the beach ( where longer rods up to 13 feet might be used), but that should not stop your throwing out some small to mid size chrome slugs for salmon or rigging it up for light beach fishing. Tell us about the reel / line you are going to use.

Cheers Blood Knot

Well Im glad the rod is the right choice and blood knot I meant are surf rods made from carbon descent for bait just wondering I don't do much beach fishing. The real says its a shimano 4000 spin real and I'm not sure weather to use braid or mono could some one please explain the uses for both.

Thanks for your time :)

Edited by rookiemistake

I'll probably open up a can of worms here, but I'd keep away from braid as a beginner because it can knot up easily, needs a few fancy knots to tie and abraids very easily against the rocks.

I personally think that the fish can see the braid and it puts them off the bite in calm and clear water conditions.

I always use braid, both have advantages/disadvantages... Personally I'm just a guy who likes braid, until I can get my hands on that new pink mono that salty dog told me about!

Braid (interwoven fibres of nylone, polyethylene, dyneema) have almost ZERO stretch properties. - Think of it as a malliable cable - if I tug one end - you will most certainly feel it at the other.Also boasts higher abraision resistance & finer diameter per pound of breaking strain + improved cast distance**** -Advantage braid for sensetitvity-

Monofilament - Usually a nylon based polymer (essentially plastic) - This DOES have stretch & memory, meaning when when coiled up on your reel spool it will try to retain its coiled shape. That said the stretch is forgiving when a fish runs hard/Comes to rigging and is much much harder to knot up (wind knots, overspool etc) This line is usually translucent and therefore harder for said fish to detect - Advantage Mono

Flurocarbon - Half way between mono & braid - another polymer that boats lower memory and higher sensetivity (stretch), along with a lower refractive index (harder to see underwater) and is most commonly used as a leader, although can be used straight though ( whole spool of it ) - Advantage - lower diameter per LB and low visibility

Each has its own pro's & cons and can be mixed & matched (i.e Braid spool with a double uniknot 1m of flurocarbon down to your (bait,lure,old rubber boot) to suit various applications and techniques. I personally use Braid with fluro leader. IF you want to learn to use braid I would opt with something along the 8-10 pound range as once braid starts to get below 0.25mm diameter it can be a real pain to unravel a knot unless you know what your doing.

Hope this helps

C.F rods are light but are very fragile & need to be handled with kid gloves when not in use or traveling.

I had two , both of which I managed to brake. Threw then away & went back to the standard glass rob , never looked back & would never buy another CF rod

Keep im mind , the fish have no idear if your using a hand line or the most expensive gear available.

A CF rod will not catch more fish than a standard glass rod from a dept store.

Save your money.

Edited by Geoff