Middle Harbor Magic Session

joking fish

After land based fishing on the Northern Beaches for God knows how long, it was time for a change of scenery. I have a neighbor who lives down my street that has a boat and loves to fish. We both agreed to give the

harbor a go. Tuesday morning he arrived at my place at 9am. We drove to the nearest bait and tackle store and picked up some frozen prawns and squid. After arriving at Tunks Park around 10am we noticed many fledging bream in the water. This was a promising omen. Mike drove us to Sow and Pigs Reef. It was choppy and windy but the fish didn't seem to care and nor did we.

Fishing with a Cheaser Yellow Tail Rig, (Something I'd never done before) I decided to experiment in order to see if a yellow tail rig would work on Leather Jackets. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it did. First drop and I was onto a Jacket. These ultra sharp hooks designed for catching yellow tail also work on Jacket. For the first couple of hours at Sow and Pigs Reef we used plenty of burley. This consisted of chook pellets mixed with tuna oil. I landed 2 more solid Jacket, a 45cm Flathead and a 31cm Trevally. Mike scored a jacket to open his account. It went slightly quiet and we decided to try the sand flats of Rose Bay. Here all we caught were undersize reds.

We fished Sow and Pigs again on the Run in tide for nothing. Looking over towards Middle Head there were bait fish busting up everywhere and the sea gulls were in a frenzy. Mike put a chrome lure on the end of his hand line and we decide to troll for whatever was making causing the commotion. As I drove the boat straight through the school, Mike yelled "I'm on." I put the boat in neutral and after 5 minutes a torpedo like Salmon was on the boat. We tried our luck again and sure enough we were on again! This time I landed the fish and it was a carbon copy of the last one, a stout and fat Salmon.

Around mid evening we fished the last hours before sundown in Middle Harbor at Mike's secret spot. I discarded my yellow tail cheaser rig and adopted a more conventional method. A light rod with a size 2/0 suicide hook ball sinker and 20lb leader. Fishing with Pilchard chunks as bait I caught a 43cm Flathead and about 4 Tailor between 30-36cm. It was a magic day and the harbor was teeming with marine life. Our total for the day was 12 legal fish Me 10 and Mike 2. It was one of the most enjoyable and productive days of fishing I have ever had. Picture is on its way.

post-16627-0-02829600-1416386506_thumb.jpg

Edited by barcod86

Nice day out mate as said don't troll through the school cast at them it really annoys me when I'm fishing a school of busting up fish and somebody trolls through them puts them right down and sometimes they don't come back

I'll be out on the weekend hopefully to get a king if not I know there are plenty of salmon to catch

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Nice day out mate as said don't troll through the school cast at them it really annoys me when I'm fishing a school of busting up fish and somebody trolls through them puts them right down and sometimes they don't come back

I'll be out on the weekend hopefully to get a king if not I know there are plenty of salmon to catch

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Fair call dude, Mike and I are very amateur when it comes to trolling. The scariest part is the school was so thick and widespread it was almost impossible not to troll through it. If the salmon are that ravenous when you go out on the weekend you will be in for a cracking day.

Great report mate, thanks for sharing. It's a good problem to have if the bust ups are too big to go around! Seems like the salmon arrived in numbers fairly late this year. Most of the bustups I've stumbled across in the harbour so far were smaller tailor.

Fair call dude, Mike and I are very amateur when it comes to trolling. The scariest part is the school was so thick and widespread it was almost impossible not to troll through it. If the salmon are that ravenous when you go out on the weekend you will be in for a cracking

Get close, engine off, flick flick flick...

You dont have to be in the school, or even casting into the middle of it... casting on the edges will get you fish too!

Getting too close or trolling through can ruin everyone's fun. You'll see it too many times in the harbour with people being selfish trying to get their one fish... The main thing that people do is get too excited and start tangling lines, fluffing casts and scaring the fish, trolling through them... just keep calm and cast a line (Need to make a new t-shirt with that on it).

Ha ha ha ha ha driving thru a school, it just doent make sense

Your eyes would pop out of their sockets if u saw the size of this of this school. It was something special. I'm glad so many people have found our amateur attempts at catching salmon so highly amusing. heh -_-

Edited by barcod86