Harbour land based 22/01/15

Ojay Samson

Hey all,

went for a fish initially at kirribilli wharf with the gf for about 10 minutes, having never been there til then, we didnt like it due to the cramped quarters so went somewhere else. Got to the new location and baited up.

Didnt take long till my newly acquired/salvaged/adopted rod combo I found the week previous and fixed (bcf 29.99 junior combo special... still had the sticker on it) buckled over. On the end of the line was a 50cm flattie. Completely unexpecting to get anything decent, again it was a stressful race for the gf to assemble the net again and for me to play with the fish making sure not to lift its head up out of the water and making sure it didnt go around pylons. after a couple tense minutes of assembling the net and walking the fish along the boardwalk to an access ladder, i climbed down the ladder while holding the net and the gf holding the rod now, scooped it up and success, brought it up and saw the hook fell out of the fishes mouth while in the net.

Didnt take a pic of that as we've all seen a flatty before, it was more of the story behind catching it which I found note-worthy.

Then next up caught a Painted Sweetlip/MILF going around 43-44cm. Caught that on a hand line with a squid head and a 7/0 suicide hook. took me into the rocks and whatever else was down there but luckily the handline was sporting 40lb mono (recycled line from old reel which needed some fresh stuff) so it was just a simple case of skull dragging it out.

In regards to fishraider records badges, i'd like to apply for one with this fish. had a quick search for all the different names of this fish but didnt find anything. It seems like all the rage these days, and you aint nothing till you get one, haha jks... i just want to be cool to. can anyone point me in the right direction for that. "MILF RECORD HOLDER"... yes I like the sound of that =D

Cheers for reading all,

Ojay

post-13877-0-73235700-1421901944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ojay Samson

Nice one, if you get it I will be on the hunt.

I want to be milf record holder too!

In the words of Highlander... "There can be only one!"

To many of them up at port ATM. I think I'll break that record really quick! :)

Noooooo :( Let me have my day in the sun, if only for a little while haha. Need to work on badge approval first before anything lol.

It's always good when you catch stuff when you aren't expecting to! Good catch btw.

In looking for the new spot, did you just wander around or pull out google maps?

Thanks dynabolt. well we originally checked out kirribilli wharf, didint like it like mentioned so we decided to check out luna park wharf and just went from there (skipped jeffrey street wharf because ive fished there a couple of times and only ever caught pinkies, small port jackson shark and leatherjackets in the daytime).

Oh man... And I was getting g really excited for a badge too :(

Yes, for all those wondering, it is also known as a Mother-in-law Fish, hence the acronym, apparently they're not that great eating, but also not poisonous and complete garbage either so you usually just palm them off to the in-laws... I didn't make the name up, the internet told me, so who am I to argue haha.