Woronora/Como 22//01/15

fiveflies

Hi Raiders,

Well I learnt a valuable and expensive lesson yesterday!

Managed to get out for a fish either side of the high tide (and it was really high yesterday, bottom of rail bridge pylons at Como covered with water). Hired a tinny from Como Marina and motored up the Woronora to Bonnets Bay to have a crack for some flathead. Not had huge success in the past and had just bought some new SPs to try. Threw out a bait as I drifted and also flicked around with the SP.

First up the bait produced and a nice 42cm flattie is in the boat. Feeling pretty happy with myself as my normal fishing buddy captainlukey is always taking the p!ss out of my special chicken! Next cast with the SP and I'm on for another flattie this one at 43cm. Two keepers and nice size for eating so that's dinner sorted.

post-34651-0-06920000-1421980559_thumb.jpg

Stayed a little while longer then decided I'd head back to the Georges a go and try for whiting/bream/tailor. Set the boat up and got the burley trail going. I could see lots of good size whiting but they wouldn't take my special chicken or prawns. Threw out a popper and was retrieving it right past them but no interest at all. Very frustrating as they really were a good size.

Anyway, decided to put both rods in and soak some bait. Sitting there with one rod in my hand and all of a sudden the other rod bends over and leaps up and out of the boat. I make a despairing lunge for it, but its too late. For a split second I contemplated diving in after it as I watched it sinking down in the the murky depths, but decided that would have been a bit foolhardy! Thought I'd left the baitrunner set so that it would just pay out line, but obviously I hadn't. Not sure what was more frustrating, losing the rod combo or never knowing what it was that ripped the rod out of the boat. :ranting2:

So, at around $250's worth of rod plus the hire boat cost they were two very expensive flatties!! At least they tasted great!

Edited by fiveflies

Great report mate and a couple of decent wonnie flatys there... Did u get em in the Chanel or up on the flats at that time of day? i usually flick and crab from mangrove Island up to bonnet bay but all underside the last few weeks..... 2m tides= Jew near the bridge.....bad luck about the set up, could of been a cracker....bait in the water, rod in the holder ? unlucky mate!

Great report mate and a couple of decent wonnie flatys there... Did u get em in the Chanel or up on the flats at that time of day? i usually flick and crab from mangrove Island up to bonnet bay but all underside the last few weeks..... 2m tides= Jew near the bridge.....bad luck about the set up, could of been a cracker....bait in the water, rod in the holder [emoji16] unlucky mate!

I was on the flats not the channel. Tide was so high so plenty of depth to drift on. Unfortunately no rod holders in the hired tinny! Not had much luck in the Wonny so was very happy with those flatties.

Edited by fiveflies

Every fisherman needs at least one lost rod story to tell mate - bad luck... At least you didn't go home empty handed!

I'm so unused to actually catching anything, never expected the rod to do that! Where were you when I needed someone who could haul me back into the boat!