Nelson Bay marina breakwall 7/2/2015

Dave_

G'day Raiders,

I went to Nelson Bay on Saturday to take advantage of the awesome weather that was predicted. I didn't plan to take the day very seriously and I couldn't take my big gear anyway because my ute is still being repaired. I had my Loomis 4-7kg and Caldia 3000 though, which can handle most things.

Got there just before high tide and I hadn't even finished rigging the lines for my mrs and young fella and my mate was onto something huge on his Bream stick. After a 10-15 second reel screaming run, his leader got shredded on the rocks. Seconds later, a big bust up happened right in front of us and they were Kings....big ones. I frantically rigged up the lines and I put a flick bait on my heaviest set up and we were on! The unweighted fresh prawns on the Bream rods got smashed and everyone got dusted. They wouldn't touch the plastics or metals or anything with 20-30lb leader. The 8lb leader was no match for the oyster covered rocks so I was praying to hook up to a smaller one.

While we were re rigging yet another bust off, the guy beside me hooks up to a smaller one on his 1000 sienna with 6lb braid and cheapo 1-3kg rod. He had no net and neither did I so I went to give him a hand and also some guidance as he was very inexperienced. 15 minutes later we see the fish and it turned out to be the dumbest (and kindest) King ever, avoiding the rocks completely. I got the grips in it and measured it and it went 70cm and was quite a thick fish. The guy who caught it hadn't caught a King before so I told him it was legal and showed him how to bleed it.

We got busted off one more time before before they disappeared after high tide. We got a few nice Bream and heaps of Jackets until the Kings reappeared on the surface just before low tide. About 20 decent fish all busted up chasing tiny bait fish but this time I couldn't tempt them although I tried everything. A couple I seen would have been 10-15kg.

We didn't land a King but it was still great fun and we got a feed in the end.

Cheers

Dave

post-32123-0-05443600-1423457646_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-04251400-1423462380_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-46725000-1423462397_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-42216300-1423462426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave_

Dave,

The kings off that break wall are some of the most educated I've seen. I've watching blokes get spooled by monsters there. Although I have seen a few landed. Best was a 22kg+ that had this bloke running everywhere! Great angling to land a fish from there that size!

The bream can be brutal too! A young fella landed one at 53cm in November. Top effort!

Great spot when it's on. Well done on your efforts!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great report Dave, a day you will never forget ... I have witnessed the Kings come thru shoal bay and the wall and it is quite a sight seeing the size of some of them, but as statchie says they are pretty clever up there.... I might have to do a mad dash up there by months end.... Great part of the world.

Dave,

The kings off that break wall are some of the most educated I've seen. I've watching blokes get spooled by monsters there. Although I have seen a few landed. Best was a 22kg+ that had this bloke running everywhere! Great angling to land a fish from there that size!

The bream can be brutal too! A young fella landed one at 53cm in November. Top effort!

Great spot when it's on. Well done on your efforts!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Wow...53cm Bream....I thought the 42cm one we got a Stockton last year was big! Do you know if the It was released?

Wow...53cm Bream....I thought the 42cm one we got a Stockton last year was big! Do you know if the It was released?

Unfortunately it wasn't, as the young fella was fishing in a comp at the time and I think he wanted to give it to the old boys!