Using Carp for bait & burley query

Spider Monkey

Hi All,

Being a new member to this forum and my first post, I thought I would enquire about a bait myth I have heard...

I have been told that fresh water carp are good saltwater bait and burley (closed and offshore waters) due to the toughness of the skin to hang on. I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the claim, but interested in member views and experience in this regard if they have any.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Why not? If there were any eggs the salt would kill them anyway?

I recon snapper would love carp!!

They use them for fertilizer here but in Eastern/Central Europe they eat them and they are a prized fish on the table.

Need to be out of rivers though or they are muddy tasting.

I have eaten plenty of carp in Serbia, it's bloody good if done properly and in London lots of fishmongers have carp on display for the Polish, Serbs etc.

They are also a prized catch and release fish in UK.

Edited by ALI-G

Just had a look on the NSW dpi. Site and it seems to be legal . Under the section " prohibited methods and activities" sub section "Bait" it states.

You are not permitted to use non native fish or parts thereof whether alive or dead, other than dead carp

I think the key word here is dead

Edited by Zacnoel

Yes but then there's this;

Report a pest species!

For recreational fishers:

Don’t transfer fish between waterways – and don’t use live fish as bait in freshwater (it’s illegal!)

Obtain a permit to stock fish – and buy fingerlings from a registered hatchery to minimise the chances of contamination with undesirable species.

Don’t return pest fish to the water – if you catch a pest fish, kill it humanely and dispose of it appropriately away from the water.

Prevent unwanted hitchhikers – check, clean and dry boats, equipment and fishing gear between waterways.

I'm kinda confused. I know it's definitely illigal in QLD and sa, but can't find specifics for NSW. Can't understand how different states may take different approaches to pests like that.

Qld laws;

This fish is declared noxious in Queensland. It is unlawful to possess noxious fish alive or dead or to use them as bait. It is illegal to place or release noxious fish alive or dead into Queensland waterways. Penalties of up to $200,000 apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps in NSW it's seen as a type of control mechanism. If people target carp as a bait source , it places more preasure on the noxious species and is seen as a positive (as long as the carp is dead) .

But I do agree that there should be some form of uniform legislation between states

You can't get the states to agree on what time it is, good luck getting them to agree on carp management strategies.

Qld reads that any carp you catch need to be killed immediately and binned away from the water.

Nsw appears to be that it must be killed immediately and then do what you want.

You can't get the states to agree on what time it is, good luck getting them to agree on carp management strategies.

Qld reads that any carp you catch need to be killed immediately and binned away from the water.

Nsw appears to be that it must be killed immediately and then do what you want.

I hear that! I was recently in tweed, try making a dinner reservation! Game of 20 questions! The old iPhone doesn't keep up with the time updates either, had to manually set it. Pain in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original question suggested that carp are awesome burley. If it's true it's one of the few fish I have no problems catching and mashing up to throw into the water - I'm not opposed to fishing with livies but I'm not overly keen on just mashing up baitfish to get some interest in the area.

Just my personal view on it, certainly not a crusade to stop people, others can mash up whatever they want it's their business. I'm just more comfortable using a known pest to feed the fish and keeping the respectable baitfish for use with hooks ;)

Thanks all... a lot of views and appreciate the feedback.

I live near a waterway that has way too many carp in it, and thought a Sunday afternoon picnic could be even more productive by killing two birds with one stone (so to speak).

Probably time to get a ruling from dpi.

Cheers.

Get the carps back home, mash it all up, no one will ever ask you whether it's carp or dog food, being a FW species it is highly unlikely to have negative impact on SW (fungi, viruses and so on even though it could still happen but that is not specific to carp).

If you're not sure and you feel scared, just give fisheries a ring and ask, drop them an email, or a FB message, otherwise you'll only have crap advices like mine that could get you behind the bars :P :P :P:074::bash:

Edited by T.C

mate as far as bait I have had great results with carp for bait .

mud crabs seem to love it not so much the blue swimmers

also yabbies' can not resist it .

outside I have done well on snapper and flathead using carp strips for bait

as burley I mix it with chicken frames and old bread and run it through a macerator

freeze in into two kg blocks and drop it into the burley bucket as required .

it melts slowly giving a constant flow of burley and at cost peanuts to make ,

I am pretty shore this is all legal but if not I am happy to be told other wise

PS: THE ONLY GOOD CARP IS A DEAD CARP

Hi all,

Had a respond from DPI as follows. DPI wrote:

I've just checked the rules and regulation guide and the only information I can find regarding using a pest species is this.

"Do not transfer fish between waterways and do not use live fish as bait in freshwater or live OR dead Redfin Peach as bait in freshwater - it is illegal"

Going off that rule, I would say that there wouldn't be a problem with using carp as bait as long as you are fishing in saltwater.

I'm not sure what numbers you had contacted but I'd advise calling the following numbers and speaking to a fisheries officer if would like wanted more information.

Coffs Harbour - ph: 02 6652 3977 mob: 0419185536

Sydney North - ph: 02 8437 4903 mob: 0419185363

Batemans Bay - ph: 02 4472 4032 mob: 0427855008"

Regards,

Paul