Dual battery wiring diagram

garfield28

Hi everyone,

Another question :1sorry:

Could anyone please point me in the right direction of any Vids or links for wiring a dual battery system please? I just purchased a 100AH Deep cycle battery from BCF last night and want to wire it in with the existing battery to run my electronics. There is already a battery switch installed but I need a wiring diagram of what wires I need and how to wire the electronics from that etc.

I am doing everything to my boat now like fixing the gelcoat and small screw holes etc (another thread) and I really appreciate the help and advice from those who know.

Thanks

Geoff

Here's a start mate.post-20199-0-12404100-1428632914_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-12404100-1428632914_thumb.jpgFor all your electrics like sounders,lights,bilge pump,etc run a fused power wire to your switch panel from your positive house battery.

Run a negative from your switch panel to a busbar which all your accessories negative will feed into it with the positives running back to the switch panel.

Use marine tinned wire and solder all joints an use heat shrink,electrical tape and cable ties for a neat finish.

An alternate way is run power and ground from the house battery to the switch panel then feed a power and ground out the switch panel to a busbar for power and a busbar for ground then feed your electrics wiring into the appropriate busbar.

Make sure your electrics like sounders have separate fuses.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

Here's a start mate.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgFor all your electrics like sounders,lights,bilge pump,etc run a fused power wire to your switch panel from your positive house battery.

Run a negative from your switch panel to a busbar which all your accessories negative will feed into it with the positives running back to the switch panel.

Use marine tinned wire and solder all joints an use heat shrink,electrical tape and cable ties for a neat finish.

An alternate way is run power and ground from the house battery to the switch panel then feed a power and ground out the switch panel to a busbar for power and a busbar for ground then feed your electrics wiring into the appropriate busbar.

Make sure your electrics like sounders have separate fuses.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Cheers.

Thanks for that.

Here is a link to the diagram I drew for another raider in 2013. Might be a bit elaborate but if you eventually want to add solar then this will help. It's a pdf I can't upload it using my iPad.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B71eOcYk7Xe_MjlvWm96NWhDZUVHZUZ5UWR2cElfVzNpZHNn/edit?usp=docslist_api

Thank you.

I cannot seem to open it at work but will have a squiz when I get home.

Cheers

I've been looking into this myself and found this quick tip below but what will be the cons of having the dual connection straight to a panel with out the battery switch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by latindog

IF one battery goes flat, it will steal all the power from the other one so you get two dead batteries

If the batteries are different types then you might have the same drianing problem.

You will be unable to stop any of your devices from slowly nicking your power

are three i can think of off the top of my head

If you want, switches, vsr or DC-DC charger, circuit breakers, fuses, cables made up to size with hydraulic crimped ends and heat shrink and boots. Also battery/Ies And diagram how to hook everything up

We can help.

Roadrunner 9607 5774

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you want, switches, vsr or DC-DC charger, circuit breakers, fuses, cables made up to size with hydraulic crimped ends and heat shrink and boots. Also battery/Ies And diagram how to hook everything up

We can help.

Roadrunner 9607 5774

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

These guys know their stuff and are sponsors of fishraider as well - great for our members!!!