Hawkesbury River - Dangar Island

seasponge

I finally got back out on the river for a fish, making the most of the beautiful winter weather we had over the long weekend. Went out on Monday and fished around Dangar Island. The wind was making it difficult, blowing us in the opposite direction to the tide. I ended up drifting the last of the incoming tide across the eastern side of Dangar Island (the only place we could drift with the current with that strong westerly blowing). We picked up a couple of flatheads and a nice whiting for dinner. My wife also got a good sized tailor which put up a nice fight for her. He went back in the drink. All caught on fresh prawns.

Had a drift of the outgoing tide along Little Wobby but the westerly was causing too much havoc, blowing us into the shore too frequently. We didn't pick up anything there, though we did manage to snag someones line as we drifted past their jetty (I wasn't expecting them to have their lines so far out into the channel). I don't think they were too impressed but whilst attending to (and cutting) my lines, I witnessed them haul in what would've been a +80cm flatty.

I'd set 4 witches hats in the mouth just off parsley bay when we set out. A nice round off to the day to bring them in and find crabs in each trap. Ended up with 5 legal blue swimmers, but chucked the 2 smallest back in as it was only going to be me eating them that night. This is my first season with the boat down Brooklyn and I wasn't sure how much longer the crabs were still around. Good to see they're still in abundance at the moment. Caught them with the trusty can of catfood and some manky old mullet pieces which have been used, frozen, thawed and used over and over again at least 4 times and still doing the trick - looks like the mankier the better!

post-34194-0-96139700-1433825714_thumb.jpg

Danger Island and Little Wobby were a couple of my dad's favourite drifts in the Hawkesbury.

You just brought back a whole bunch of nice memories!

Thanks seasponge!

Edited by Burger