Narrabeen flathead fishing tips

James Quillan

Hi guys,

im 13 living on the Northern beaches of sydney, and i have been fishing Narrabeen lake since i was 3. I would love to develop my flathead fishing in the area so perhaps you could help me? i would love some pointers on some spots, best tides, lures etc.,

thanks for the help, James

Edited by James Quillan

Hey buddy,

Best advise I can give for Flathead in the lakes is to simply pick a starting point and walk all the way up the lake as far as you can flicking plastics out and bringing them in with a very slow retrieve, one or two hops, pause and repeat. Flathead don't tend to move around a lot, particularly during the Winter months and it is essentially your job to find them! I'd recommend some Berkley Gulp plastic lures in the Nuclear Chicken colour and about 3" inches in length. I'd match that with a 1/8th or 1/6th TT jighead (some would say to heavy). Look for drop offs and areas where weed meets sand or mud. I also like to assess the tide and as best I can position my casting so I'm bring my lure with the current, as flathead will generally sit facing in the current. Get as much as a twitch in your line and strike!

Good luck man!

Cheers OMJ