Hairtail

harold

We went out yesterday and fished at Waratah Bay. We caught some squid in the afternoon but zero Hairtail last night. We had 2 bites but were not holding the rods at the time. Saw one tiny one caught there. It was very cold and so foggy this morning.

Maybe Jerusalem Bay is the go! Can't wait for the Hairtail social.

Edited by harold

It doesn't look like a good year this year for Hairtail. This does happen every 4 or 5 years. We were out a couple of weeks ago and fished JB for 2

nights. Nothing at night but early morning they were biting but they were all 1.02 metres and hard to hook. More fish reported from Waratah but of

similar size.

Maybe the recent cold weather may bring them on, lets hope.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 4myson

There definitely still out there , a neighbour down the road got back Monday night after midnight with 4 on board after a three hour session in Warratah Bay all were just over the 1 meter mark ...

Guest 4myson

I was the only boat in Waratah on Monday saw no other boats there only caught one 77cm jewfish

I can only go off by what I've been told but I did see the actual Hairtails the next mourning (unless he's keeping his spot secret & just threw WB at me) I'll mention it to him that you were out there & saw no other boat for the rest of the night . If you read the reports of the social you'd see that most of the catches happened in JB . I did the most damaged at JB with my son during the social & we even fished Akuna Bay & Warratah Bay but those 2 bays were Dead !

Never got one I've been reading and is very interesting I also find catching these fish is no easy unless you have the right gear, I like to have a go someday but can I get some tips as to hook size, line and best bait please , I understand is not just pull on the rod as soon as there is a byte is this true? technics will be appreciate guys thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head.

20lb wire trace connected to 3x 3/0 gang hooks. Stick a glowstick at the bottom of the wire trace (as close to gang hooks as possible).

Put a whole (dead) pilchard on that.

Have a couple of lines out, one a few meters off bottom and the other about halfway in the water - they seem to feed at different heights so cover all bases.

How to hook them will depend on who you ask "lift and drop lift and drop!". The 2 that got caught right next to me :wife: just let them take the bait and hook themselves.

They are a pain in the ass of a fish, they have big fangs and seem to swim up to the bait and try and strip it with their teeth, if their teeth meet and resistance they open their big mouths and move on to the next bait. So you'll often pull your bait up and find its got either drill holes in the side of it, or has been picked perfectly around the gang hooks.

i find no wire trace gets more fish

my rig is either two snelled size 1 hooks in a fine gauge hook that rig hooks fish a lot better then the gangs but if i use gangs i use 3/0 gangs

15lb flurocarbon and a red glow stick 30-50cm up the line

ill either use a very small pea sized ball sinker or no sinker at all

burly every now and then with cubes

best baits for me are live yakkas, yakka fillets or whole or pillie fillets

cheers sydneyfisher12

Very interesting thanks , so the glow stick work better red or can be any Colour, the other that I'm not sure about is the rig , should I put a small sinker above the swivel on the main line or let it run on the trace ?

Very interesting thanks , so the glow stick work better red or can be any Colour, the other that I'm not sure about is the rig , should I put a small sinker above the swivel on the main line or let it run on the trace ?

Everyone said Red, but we had 3 boats and about 6 lines out... The colour that didn't catch a fish was red.

No sinker, let it float down.