Cowan Creek Cod (Black Spot Cod)

Tag117

Question

Hey guys,

Caught this cod last summer in cowan creek. I've caught Wirra cod before and this was very different. I just assumed it was an estuary cod but it has been suggested to me lately that it isn't, any help would be appeciated!

Tag

post-32294-0-37642600-1437455337_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Looks like an Estuary Cod, a protected species so hopefully you released it.

Caught some many years ago in Port Hacking, although none for a long time now.

Wirrah do not grow that large, and taste like crap. Ate a couple of cod, before they were protected, a good eating fish, though you won't be able to try them in NSW any more.

Theres several cod species that get labelled estuary cod but the only one you will see this far south is the blackspot quite common at Forster for some reason Three others that I know of are the redspot goldspot and greasy They can get confusing as the spots on the redspot and goldspot fade when they reach adult sizes

Cheers for the help guys,

Was reeling in a little snapper which had taken a bit of pilly, on the way in it got smashed by this guy, went 50cm and checked tail, no distinctive black spot.

Have had black rod cod grab a small reddie on a few occasions in Port Hacking, and some could not be stopped. I could feel the reddie as it was being pulled into the boat, then a big hit and snagged under a cave or rock ledge.

They returned to their rocky caves and would not come out, could feel them on the line swimming into a cave, let the line go slack for a couple of hours, but they would not swim out again. Had to bust the line.

After looking at the NSW Fisheries site, black rock cod and estuary cod are subject to many variations, regarding colours, spots, stripes and are therefore subject to various names.

That looks identical to black spotted cod we catch up in Qld and similar to the Gold spot cod.

We used to catch a lot of black rock cod in nsw estuaries back in the old days , they were an occasional catch not rare.

Weeny Bay used to be a good spot for them as well as around any of the break walls on the north coast rivers.

Back when we used to eat them they weren't protected and Weeny bay was not a marine reserve.

Well done that is a stunning Sydney fish...Even if you did fluke it with it taking a pinkie! (Don't worry my biggest John Dory was caught exactly the same way) :sun:

I also applaud you for releasing what is an extremely rare species in Sydney.