Pittwater Kings and a Blackfish 10/8/15

nickb111

Hey guys,

A few days ago a mate and I headed out to Pittwater to try and get amongst some winter kings. We left the boat ramp, heading north and hugging the eastern shoreline. We motored up to Clareville, where we saw a tight flock of birds hovering over the surface. Under them was a small school of kings, feeding on eyes. Using my 9 weight, I threw in a squid fly, and on the second cast hooked up. After a 5 minute fight I had a 66 cm king in the boat, my first since december last year! It was a good reward for the freezing weather!

The kings went down during the fight, so I couldn't have another go at the school. We motored north, heading for Lion Island, where we hoped to find salmon at the last of the lowering tide. No cigar, but immense amounts of bait and mutton birds.

We then headed to Barrenjoey Headland, armed with 6 weights and weed flies to catch my first blackfish on fly. After 20 minutes of casting and on the brink of low tide, I hooked up to a blackfish I'd estimate it to be in the mid to high 30s, buy you guys be the judge.

post-33007-0-57458300-1440215893_thumb.png

On the run home, we found a school of kings, which looked more akin to the hectare sized schools of salmon off north head. All between approximately 60 cm and perhaps 90 cm long, they were feeding off the smallest of bait and after a few tries with the squid fly that had worked in the morning, I downsized to a much smaller surf candy. Due to the size and weight of the calamari fly, I had a heavy and short leader, with a 20 lb tippet. As I didn't want to spook the kingfish, a lighter 12 lb tippet was tied onto the previous tippet giving a longer, lighter leader. The hook of the surf candy was also very small.

post-33007-0-05059500-1440215928_thumb.jpeg

We chased the school for 30 minutes, but the kings had a serious case of lockjaw. Eventually, I threw in a cast where the fly was headed to the most intense part of the boil, and I knew, before it even landed that it was the one. I hooked up to a king, and bearing in mind the light tackle, had to keep him off the bottom, yet still keep my light leader intact. After a 10 minute fight, up came a 70 cm king, which was also a new pb.

post-33007-0-11622700-1440215919_thumb.png

It was a great day out and broke a month long drought for me.

Edited by nickb111

nice one nick!

that on the crosscurrent and torrent? if so how was the drag going after the decent fish, should had plenty more grunt?

bummer about this mornings weather though!

did you tie the candy ?

see ya when i get back from Europe :banana:

Sydneyfisher12 - I've had most luck on a fly, lure or bait hasnt really worked for me..

1 last cast a salt fly set up is great so long as you have a boat!

I have no space to keep a boat...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk