Port Stephens- Heating up!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Headed out this morning early with @Rodeoto beat the expected boat traffic with the sea conditions looking mint. 
We could see a heap of bait on the sounder but in the dark we couldn’t entice them. We did however manage a heap of garfish as a substitute. 
Headed straight to the island and a first cast special for scratch, and we had a nice 50cm pannie in the box. Kept drifting but we didn’t see what we were looking for,  so time to move! 
Well the next spot was red hot and there were fish busting everywhere. I cast out and was on to a thumper snaps. So my mate winds in quickly and bang! He’s on to a nice kingy. So we are doubled up and then the livie screams off! Oh no, what to do? Well, I’m confident that mines an 80+cm snapper, so my mate locks up his king and it gets off! Picks up the live bait rod, gooooone! Then within sight of the boat, the worst feeling on the world.... grinding on the line and pop! 😢😢

Oh well, it’s all happening so we reset the drift and seriously same result. This time I land a cracking snapper, he gets a decent 70cm+ king and we land a good size mac tuna on the live bait rod. Lol 😝 

We work the area picking up a few more snapper and a heap of kings and plenty of dustings. In fact, the amount of good fish we’ve lost in the last two trips has been embarrassing. So it was good to get a few on the deck! 
Packed up around 1030 and took a scenic tour along the beach on the way home! 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

4144FE87-CCA8-4750-8DD6-0C14ADB7F997.thumb.png.70b03fc424438b9d02b8e45dc7f2d126.png

0F34A0DD-A14B-4D1F-9211-B622D0411A7B.thumb.png.06e1aecfa6f64c3fa24a6d7e3c5836f5.png

C68DC6DF-8676-47FE-BE47-6A55FC1DF1FA.thumb.png.41fc034753cef4baf8800037888788a6.png

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Where I'm from we'd call that for a triffecta 👍

KA-CHING :biggrinthumb:

Haha, we call that a decent feed and a pest! Today was pretty epic! Usually need to work a bit harder than what we did! 🤙

Great stuff, Jeff! Were those garfish at Cabbage Tree? I often seem to struggle for slimies in the dark and find them a lot more responsive once that pre-dawn glow starts to appear.

I think today would have been the pick of the week, weather wise. I’m kicking myself because I’m on holidays and... no... I promised I wouldn’t clutter your threads with reasons why I didn’t go fishing! (Mostly medical issues - getting old I guess! 🤷‍♂️). Maybe Friday... 🤷‍♂️😂 At least I’ve been putting some time into my music... jam night tonight. 🎶🎸🎤😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! Were those garfish at Cabbage Tree? I often seem to struggle for slimies in the dark and find them a lot more responsive once that pre-dawn glow starts to appear.

I think today would have been the pick of the week, weather wise. I’m kicking myself because I’m on holidays and... no... I promised I wouldn’t clutter your threads with reasons why I didn’t go fishing! (Mostly medical issues - getting old I guess! 🤷‍♂️). Maybe Friday... 🤷‍♂️😂 At least I’ve been putting some time into my music... jam night tonight. 🎶🎸🎤😎

Thanks Baz. 
Yes mate, the gars were at cabbage tree. Berley, 3 hook sabiki no weight, they love it. 

3 hours ago, tobycb said:

Well that looks like a fun morning out!

well done boys!

Regards Toby

48 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great haul again. Well done. Super photos.

Thanks lads! There was definitely enough to keep us busy. 

31 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Another good bag of fish again. As for the big run, was it a big cobia? 😁

Prefer to think shark than cobia! 😬

Would have love to seen you stop that on a handline Yowie! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

As always - awesome stuff Jeff !! Sounds like an absolute cracker of a day.

You are very lucky to live in heaven up there, wish i was fishing right now !

Thanks Sam. Sure am lucky to live up here! You won’t believe what we caught today 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1