Maiden Voyage: The Hacking.

p-ziller

Hi Raiders,

On Saturday we finally had a chance to take the boat out. I had wanted to go to botany as I am fairly familiar with the location but the missus and I opted to try out the hacking after reading a few reports.

We launched at Grays point a bit later to avoid the conjunction and potential embarrassment of reversing a boat at the ramp for the first time. To my dismay, I actually nailed it parking and all.

The boat fired up first pull with a little help from his mate Mr. Choke and we were off! The area is beautiful and we saw a lot of activity on the surface from what I believed to be either salmon or tailor just out of the wash zone. We had a few cast but nothing, so we decided to trawl a metal a little closer to the rocks. The missus hooked up but came off a few times so we decided to move on.

The next spot we went to was a channel, we opted to throw out some prawns and drift to see what we could come up with. I got smashed by what I presumed to be a monster however once on the surface I realised it was only a Pinky. The fish was over the 20cm mark but we threw it back hoping for bigger ones.

After another half hour or so we packed up and headed for shallow water in hopes for a few flatties. I prefer using SP’s and since I had made my quota on bait I decided to switch it up. The missus continued to get slayed by pinky’s catching at least another 5-10 at this spot. I was using pumpkinseed swimming mullet’s as these have proven quite effective for me and before long I had hooked up. No matter what I did I couldn’t keep the damn things on, fish after fish after fish.

We packed it up yet again and headed closer to Lilly Pilly. I chose a bigger and heavier SP as the water was a bit deeper and I could see a lot of movement on the bottom. Every time I jigged it back what looked like leather jackets were chasing it all the way to the surface, I just couldn’t get on!

Kat had out fished me again, hooking up a legal flounder so I opted for the oldfaithful pumpkinseed. A few cast later I was on and something had taken it all the way to the top it was almost like I was fishing poppers. I get it in the boat and it had confused me, I thought it was a decent size whiting but it turned out it wasn’t. I believe it may have been either a sea pike or a yellow tail barracuda and the reason for the glove is not that I am channeling the king of pop but because I am quite heavy handed when it comes to small slimy fish.

While still anchored up, a very silent maritime officer had made his way over to us and given us a spooking! He failed us on not having a few items but had given us the benefit of the doubt and was nice enough to let it slide (We have now amended this).

All in all it was a great first day of many to be had out on the water and we can’t wait for the next one!!!

Cheers,

Paul.

post-37344-0-77451200-1446502191_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-91885900-1446502234_thumb.jpeg

Those little things in the water that you thought may have been LeatherJackets.

I can almost guarantee they are sweep. They seem to show up in plague proportions randomly in the hacking, last 2 outings I've come across them! tiny little mouths and will absolutely smash anything that floats near it.. Including cheese and bacon rolls. I caught one on a tiny hook and a bit of cheese and bacon roll just so I could see what they were :P

Sounds like a good day out though, bit of activity and a variety of fish!

I was out in the hacking on Saturday too - you did better than we did!

Those little things in the water that you thought may have been LeatherJackets.

I can almost guarantee they are sweep. They seem to show up in plague proportions randomly in the hacking, last 2 outings I've come across them! tiny little mouths and will absolutely smash anything that floats near it.. Including cheese and bacon rolls. I caught one on a tiny hook and a bit of cheese and bacon roll just so I could see what they were :P

Sounds like a good day out though, bit of activity and a variety of fish!

I was out in the hacking on Saturday too - you did better than we did!

They definitely could have been sweep! I wish i could have caught one to confirm.

I was hoping to do better, be out for longer and go out around jibbon head but had to pack up by lunch.

Hopefully this weekend its a better day.

Cheers,

Paul.

The place went dead around 1:00 anyway, the wind was ridiculous.. We spent most of the arvo trying to find bays to shelter in from the wind.

Once the sweep arrive, all you end up doing is feeding them.

I'm hoping the forcast improves for the weekend too, I'll be out in the hacking chasing squid :)

The sweep in the hacking are something im quickly learning to hate. More so than the squire! They destroy my kingy berley trail, but that hasn't stopped the kings. Maybe the sweep's manic presense attracts the bigger fish? I wish they were good bait :)

The sweep in the hacking are something im quickly learning to hate. More so than the squire! They destroy my kingy berley trail, but that hasn't stopped the kings. Maybe the sweep's manic presense attracts the bigger fish? I wish they were good bait :)

ive occasionally found sweep in the guts of kingfish so they do eat them

I've heard the fillets make excellent bait (also heard they taste great if you can be bothered to eat around the bones).

I know next time I find sweep I'll be taking one or 2 as bait... They have stolen enough bait from me it only seems fair!

The place went dead around 1:00 anyway, the wind was ridiculous.. We spent most of the arvo trying to find bays to shelter in from the wind.

Once the sweep arrive, all you end up doing is feeding them.

I'm hoping the forcast improves for the weekend too, I'll be out in the hacking chasing squid :)

Let me know how you go, I want to chase a few squid, would be great to get a few tips!

Yes sorry paul. Took the thread sidewards a bit... congrats on getting out and im very jealous of the boat :)

Amkr, would you salt them, maybe even just as fresh slabs

Thanks Krause, im glad it all worked out! That boat was a pain in the beginning!

More fishing to come!

Yes sorry paul. Took the thread sidewards a bit... congrats on getting out and im very jealous of the boat :)

Amkr, would you salt them, maybe even just as fresh slabs

I was thinking fresh slabs.

Fillet them, and cut the fillets in half length ways so you have 4 strips per fish.

I have no idea how effective it would be or if its even possible - but I'm willing to give it a go.

Let me know how you go, I want to chase a few squid, would be great to get a few tips!

Don't look at me for tips, I haven't managed to catch any yet... despite flicking my new jig out towards the horizon and thinking "bloody hell thats a long cast"... before realizing that it was no longer attached. Nothing worse than watching your un-attached lure fly off into the sunset.

Great to hear you finally got everything sorted with the boat ... And that you had a great day out minus the Maritime incident ....

Regardless of what happens when you are on the water, it will always be better than working.

thats the way!!

good to just get out and enjoy the day!. last week in the hacking in my new boat i launched and tied up to the pontoon , i turn around and maritime and pulling up against my boat for a saftey check.. atleast he let me pull the car out and park first!! they are cracking down on syd water systems. mainly the hacking

thats the way!!

good to just get out and enjoy the day!. last week in the hacking in my new boat i launched and tied up to the pontoon , i turn around and maritime and pulling up against my boat for a saftey check.. atleast he let me pull the car out and park first!! they are cracking down on syd water systems. mainly the hacking

Its a painful experience but i believe its the right one... within reason obviously.

Id rather they chew me out now while not alot was happening rather than ruin my day during a good session!

I hope you did well and that you didnt get fined.

Great to see that everything sorted itself out with the boat and you got it on the water! Once your out there, sometimes catching fish is just a bonus!

Cheers scratchie!!!

My thoughts exactly. I was honestly happy enough to just take in the scenery.