Christening the new brag mat!

adamski

Hey folks,

It's taken a few months of trying, with plenty of lost tackle around bridges, stupidly-early wake up times for nothing, and heaps of flatties as by catch, but eventually I caught up with the cool kids and bagged a jewie. ;)

The fish measured 73 cm on the new lie detector (bought because it has the legal sizes of the species- I couldn't remember what the size was for a flounder a couple of weeks back), taken land-based on the Cooks with a powerbait jerkshad and a 1/4 oz TT headlockz jig head. Rod was my Shimano 3Zero and reel the ever-dependable Stradic ci4 with 10lb PowerPro and 14 lb samurai leader. The fish was released unscathed.

post-33473-0-71329000-1448082713_thumb.jpg

Big shout-outs to Ben, Gianni and Seamus for the encouragement and inspiration, and Stewie for the advice on lures and tackle.

Cheers!

Adam

Edited by adamski

Thank you very much peeps, it means a lot being able to share such a special experience with people who've taught me so much. When I started fishing about a year and a half or so ago, catching a fish of that calibre was just completely unimaginable :)

It was just an amazing moment- now I know what everyone means by the headshakes and so on, they're like a very heavy aggressive flattie who suddenly decides they want to test your mettle. Fortunately this one chose to head upstream and gave me plenty of space to fight it: If it had gone downstream it would have been a completely different story.

I managed to net it myself, which felt really rewarding after having to get someone else to net my last couple of decent-sized fish, I don't want to sound egotistical, but it was nice to get a fish that I hooked, fought and landed unaided.

Cheers to everyone again for their encouragement,

Adam

Cheers folks, yeah I was stoked Jim, though possibly a bit too excited- I put up a post on a FB jewfish group page and then got a few messages from people telling me I'd given their spot away. Taken it down now, but I guess I'll be a bit more careful in the future.

Mission accomplished, well done! Although the next challenge is to go out there and do it again. Try and remember the tide, time, technique etc and that's the key to chasing jew!
Great work :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for the advice Scratchie!

Yeah, I was just going over that in my head again this evening. Went back to the same spot for nothing and was trying to work out what was different about the situation. I think I'm starting staaaaarting to build up a slightly bigger picture based on what I've read and folk have told me. Be interesting to compare experiences with other who've fished around that area.

Edited by adamski