Squid Jigs - Opinions?

Andyb139

Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting some squid jigs and wondered what your opinions are on brands, colours etc.

Obviously, you can buy yamashita lures for 10-15 dollars a pop or get other chinese imports for cheaper.

Has anyone found a difference in catch rate between brands/colour patterns?

As is the case with most fishing location and fishing to the conditions is key and I wonder if this extra price tag makes a whole heap of difference. Squid don't seem to be too wary of hitting bait/lures in my experience.

Thanks in advance guys.

Andy

Hey Andy,

You'll find that most of the time the more expensive jigs will outfish cheaper jigs, I believe this just comes down to that they sink on a slight angle and dart well when worked, very similar to an actual prawn. The cheaper jigs generally don't impart as good of an action, though I've found if the squid are around and in a feeding frenzy they will take anything you throw at them.

If squiding from the rocks you might also want to try a small bait fish such as a yellowtail or pilchard thrown onto a barb under a squid float (you'll see these as shiny floats with mirror like patterns). I've caught some XXL squid doing so.While that's floating around, flick a jig around!

Joe

You're doing ok spending $15-$20 on each jig. In my experience reddish pink jigs get most of the results. Having 3-4 different colours is a good idea.

There is a model that looks all white and is made of material that illuminates when charged with light from a torch or headlamp or any light. Iv had good results on these, and they're under $10

I've never tried the baitfish on the barb but I have some.

I have more success with the better jigs maybe only because I use them more and have more confidence in them and use them more. I have caught squid on the cheap ones. I often have a cheap one out while casting the brand ones.

You can purchase online I will send a PM

i find yamashita and yo zuri the best, i have some harimitsus and gancrafts but i gotta say i dont love them.

the backing is at least equally important as the cloth colour. depending on the light level i use glow, gold red or clear base colours.

i tend to favour natural colours in size 1.8 -2.5

You can catch squid on the $2 jigs, however, i have found they rust and weep a brown colour when they get continual use, also squid ink does stain the cheap ones more. Sink weight varies, even two in the same size, plus you dont have the sink rate written on the packet for you. When I first started squidding i used them all the time, they do catch squid i just had to throw away and buy new ones a lot.

These days all my jigs(30-40) are yamashita and yo-zuri, if my squid jig case fell off a wharf, id be going in after it lol

Generally don't have a problem with the cheap ones.. have a few good ones, but find its a matter of matching the weight and colour on the day, the squid don't know what the brand is or who is pushing what on what TV show... Only we fall for that!

Better off to buy quality jigs. As previous posts stated they are of a higher quality and tend to produce more squid unless the squid are really on, in which case they will hit any jig. BUT this rarely happens. At my last count I have 25+ jigs, zori's and yammies, ranging in colour and size from a very small 1.3 up to 2.5's with a couple of bigger 3.5's that I use when out very deep.

Dan

Sounds like a side by side field test is in order to settle this old chestnut. Cheapies for me..........

It's my personal experience that jigs worth a bit more work a bit better. The more expensive jigs are better balanced, have a better action through the water, higher quality components and they last longer.

No one is saying you can't catch squid on a cheap jig, but I'm saying you'll catch more on a better qaulity jig.

On the weekend we went Squidding, 3 guys using cheap Bc/ ones and 2 guys using Yami or similar.

80 Squid caught and the score was cheapies = 32 squid Expensive one = 48.

The two guys using the expensive squid jigs were very experienced and the 3 of us had only done it twice before with mixed results.

So I think it was a combo of technique and squid jig colour rather than cost.

The cheapie also only last 2 or 3 busy sessions and they get torn and rust.

Edited by jeffb5.8

what are those cases?

squidlaw cases made by evergreen.

best ive come across.

That's them.

They are without a doubt the best egi cases on the market, though if you're land based I would say the Versus Meiho is better due to accessibility.