Port Stephens snapper!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

So, the last two weeks I've headed up to broughton island in search of snapper and kings. The only problem I've had, is not finding them but stopping the bastards. First time lost a lot of line and it beat me to the reef. Last Friday, I managed to get it from the reef and into deep water only for my rookie apprentice to proceed to drive over my line and pull the hook. Both these instances were on liveys and significantly heavy gear.

Today, we were battling cold water, strong current and breezy conditions so we were up against it. We drifted the same areas but it just wasn't happening, so we cganges locations and first drift jnr drops and is onto a decent pannie.

post-24974-0-45086900-1450420685_thumb.jpg

We continued to drift but the constant struggle was annoying so we decided to anchor up where we caught the pannie and burleyed up. We landed quiet a few reefies and undersized snapper. I then cast out and get a solid hit on the drop zzzzzzz. The boys though I was snagged until this fish realised it was hooked and took off like a rocket. So much so that I lost 150m of 20lb braid in seconds and I'm now looking at the 100m of backing which I haven't seen since I put it on 2 years ago. There was no time to pull anchor and chase so I was praying that I can turn this fishes head. Well, to say I failed was an understatement. This fish just did not stop and I was soon facing the reality that I could now see my spool and with only 3 coils left I held it and ping! Goooooooone! I've caught plenty of good snapper on this set up and never seen the backing so this one would have been something special. Definately a snapper and i would have loved to see it.

Anyway, after that failure, we changed location by trolling and we managed a nice bonnie which was so to become bait. We found a good spot to get away from the increasing wind. After a few drifts we boated a few more good pannies and them my rod loads up for the second time today, not the same as the last but a good spirited fight and into the net goes a nice red!

post-24974-0-26001100-1450422042_thumb.jpg

We were off the water by midday with a decent esky of fish but that big boy has eluded me for a third time in a row. On a positive, at least I'm finding them and it's only a matter of time!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice write up Jeff.

3 in a row.. That's got to hurt!!

The photos make it look a beautiful day on the water even if you say conditions were a little tough.

Cheers Steve. The last two hurt but today was just one of those laugh out loud I'm under gunned moments. If I wasn't anchored I was a chance. The swell was fine but the water cold and murky with strong current and cross winds! Yukkk!

Well done with what you caught. Keep at it, I've got a feeling that big uns time is up. Very nice report, too. Big Neil.

Thanks Neil. Yep, the area is reknown for its big snapper and hoodies and shallow reefs. But I've almost got it worked out! Watch this space!

Well done mate !! Sorry for the loss on those Monster Snappers but & least you still ended up with a cracker one that would put a HUGE smile on any anglers face !!! I'll be up on Lake Mcquarie for over a week from the 3rd , I might have to come up for at least a day & hopefully get to drop a few lines with you & the boys .....

Wonder what happens to fish that break off trailing line .Probably shark poo?Sharks would detect tiring prey.

Maybe! I once caught a king at the break wall with about 4 hooks in its mouth and two had leader connected. I removed all and sent him on his way. So they are pretty resilient. If it had of made the boat it was going to be dinner! :)

Great report Scratchie and bummer about losing the big one but I suspect his days are numbered.

Yeah the big ones are in a different league especially on lighter line. I caught my PB snapper (5.3kg) on 20lb braid on an sp down the south coast a couple of years back . We had been getting a few reds around 1- 3kg on the plastics, they were great fun but quite manageable on that rig. Then I got hit by the big one and line just kept running and running off the spool. Luckily for me it wasn't rough reef more gravel and we weren't anchored so could follow him. I still remember the condition of my jig head when I removed it - dents all over the lead from his teeth and the hook looked like a piece of barbed wire - if the fight had gone any longer I reckon he'd have escaped.

Good luck for the next snapper trip.

Phil

Well done mate !! Sorry for the loss on those Monster Snappers but & least you still ended up with a cracker one that would put a HUGE smile on any anglers face !!! I'll be up on Lake Mcquarie for over a week from the 3rd , I might have to come up for at least a day & hopefully get to drop a few lines with you & the boys .....

I'm always up for a fishing invite :)

Great report Scratchie and bummer about losing the big one but I suspect his days are numbered.

Yeah the big ones are in a different league especially on lighter line. I caught my PB snapper (5.3kg) on 20lb braid on an sp down the south coast a couple of years back . We had been getting a few reds around 1- 3kg on the plastics, they were great fun but quite manageable on that rig. Then I got hit by the big one and line just kept running and running off the spool. Luckily for me it wasn't rough reef more gravel and we weren't anchored so could follow him. I still remember the condition of my jig head when I removed it - dents all over the lead from his teeth and the hook looked like a piece of barbed wire - if the fight had gone any longer I reckon he'd have escaped.

Good luck for the next snapper trip.

Phil

Cheers phil. I agree, the big boys put up a great fight and I just love the take, bang! I got one around 5kg the other week and he hit it with that much force it nearly ripped the rod from my hand. When I landed it, I was lucky as he nearly chewed through the leader. The jig was that far down his throat I has to cut the leader. Great fun! I love snapper fishing!

G'day Jeff are you sure it was a snapper ? Seems to have stripped 150mtrs of 20lb braid to quickly for a snapper you sure it wasn't a decent pelagic? Bad luck anyway mate hope you get him next time.

Pete.

Yeah Pete, this one was a snapper. Took it mid water, destinct tail beats in sporadic bursts. I'm about 99% sure. It didn't strip it in one go but every time I tried to turn the head it put on a run.

I'm happy to call it a shit shark as yowie put it because it would have been a cracker. So much so that I now need a new rod and reel :)